CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

After that, Gleam was locked up in her cage. She didn't know why and she was curious as to why there was a lot of screaming and shouting and anger from Scarlet. Later on, Peril had sneaked over to Gleam's cage and told her that there had been a trial about whether or not they should execute Peril's mother.

"Mother?" Gleam had echoed. "Peril, did you just say 'mother'?"

"Yes," Peril responded. "I just found out Kestrel is my mother. Crazy, right?"

"I- well, I didn't- I thought-"

"You thought a monster wouldn't have a mother," Peril finished wryly.

Gleam grinned at her. "Well, I don't have a mother either, and I'm considered a 'monster' too, so it would've added up."

Peril didn't tell her much since she was yelled at by Scarlet to leave and shooed away, but when the queen had gone to check up on the preparations for her hatching day, Glory had told her the whole story about the trial. 

Gleam went to sleep after the explanation, and dreamed about her imagination about the trial, except it wasn't this 'Kestrel' being judged, it was her.

When she woke, Scarlet was in the room. She was adorned with more jewels than usual, probably decorated for her hatching day.

Gleam shuffled in her cage, and at that sound, Scarlet turned her head towards her. She didn't say anything, just stared at her, as if expecting something.

"What?" Gleam snapped finally.

"Maybe it's a special day?" Scarlet snapped back. "Someone hatched today? The most important dragon in this tribe? Hello?" 

"Oh. Happy hatching day," Gleam said gruffly.

"Thank you," Scarlet growled. 

Gleam got up and stretched in the limited space she had. Glory was still asleep as usual, and Scarlet looked like she was putting on her most shiny jewels. Right now, she had some real-diamond earrings in. It was the shape of a dragon, with red rubies for its eyes. One of those earrings alone would be worth a fortune.

On her talons, she had several gold rings, matched by golden wristbands with onyxes and rubies and diamonds embedded into the gold. Scarlet, overall, looked stunning, and she probably knew that due to the number of times she pulled out a mirror and admired herself in it. 

"This day will be thrilling," Scarlet said. "All sorts of festivals and thrilling blood battles. I can't wait to see that NightWing fight. I wonder how it'll go."

"I thought only Clay was fighting in the arena," Gleam said.

"I changed my mind. I'm a queen. I can do that," Scarlet snapped. "Anyways, how long do you think four scavengers will last against two dragonets?" she wondered.

"Not long," Gleam growled. 

"Well, if a queen can die because of just one, why do you think two dragonets will survive four?" Scarlet snarled. 

Gleam shrugged and turned to face the wall.

"Well, I best get going," Scarlet said in a sing-song voice. "One of my many feasts is waiting. Bye!" with that, she left.

"Finally," Glory growled, opening her eyes. "I didn't know how long I could've lasted with her babbling in my ear." 

Gleam laughed, but it didn't last long. "I'm worried for my friends," she told the RainWing. "Elk is going on the battlefield. Today. And I don't know if Scarlet listened to my explanation on why Blue shouldn't fight, either."