CHAPTER SIX

Edited ✅ as of 30/05/23

That argument had made up Scarlet's mind.

However valuable and rare Gleam was, she was a danger to the SkyWings as well as herself. If Scarlet kept her in the castle, who knew what else she'd do?

Scarlet was sat in her private library - but it wasn't a reading library. It was a library filled with messages and shelves that reached floor to ceiling. The racks were stuffed with letters that she'd been sent, and blank scrolls to send some back.

A scroll was unfolded in front of her, and in her talons she held a quilt. Beside the scroll was a little pot of ink. 

She had been writing to Burn about Gleam, and reopening the trade. So far, the scroll said this:

Dear Queen Burn of the SandWings, 

I have been thinking about your suggestion about trading Gleam for the treasure you brought up the other day. I am getting quite tired of my unneeded creature or valuable accessory in my palace, as she does not respect me quite as much as I would like her to.

What I am trying to say is: I will accept your offer to trade Gleam for the treasure, and

And what? Scarlet thought. She dipped the tip of her quilt into the ink and scribbled more words onto the paper:

I would be thrilled if you swapped with me, the dragonet for the treasure. 

Scarlet leant back in satisfaction. That sounded good. Even if it was an offer, there was a hint of a demand in the text, saying yes, you will trade with me. 

Scarlet signed off the letter.

From your SkyWing ally, 

Queen Scarlet. 

She rolled up the scroll and lifted into the sky. Then she flew down a couple of levels to where her maids and servants lived, on one of the lowest floors.

Scarlet scanned the gloom of the sleeping red and orange figures, then found the dragon she was looking for. She walked over and prodded him. "Hey, wake up."

"Hmm?" he grunted, rolling over.

"It's me, Queen Scarlet. I order you to get up."

At once, he through the duvet off himself and sat up. "Yes, Your  Highness. What can I do for you?"

"You're my messenger, right?" Scarlet didn't wait for an answer. She shoved the scroll into his face. "I want you to fly over to the Kingdom of Sand and to Burn's Stronghold to give this to her."

"O-OK," he stammered, taking the scroll off her. He then flew out of the door. Scarlet could hear his wings flap as he glided to Burn's Stronghold as fast as he could.

"Good," Scarlet said, rubbing her talons together. She better say yes, if she knows what's good for her.

***

Scarlet sat on the throne, half-asleep. The uncomfortable sensation of Gleam's unblinking stare on her scales was keeping her awake.

"Would you stop it?" Scarlet snapped, opening her eyes and finally confronting the dragonet.

"What, Your Majesty?" the half-blind dragonet said in mock-respect.

"Staring, you misfit. Can't a queen sleep in peace?" Scarlet hissed.

Gleam narrowed her eyes, and her horns started to glow faintly. There was a tint of blue in her eye. She's only threatening me, Scarlet told herself. But she couldn't ignore the pressure building up in her neck from Gleam's unearthly powers.

Their staring competition was interrupted by knocking on the throne room's door. Scarlet averted her gaze to the wood. "Yes?" she called.

The door opened, and in came the tired-looking messenger. He held a scroll between his talons. 

"That better be the response and not my letter," Scarlet growled warningly.

He shook his head quickly. "No, Queen... Scarlet... it's... Queen Burn's," he panted.

"What letter?" Gleam asked suspiciously.

"Keep your disgusting, half-breed nose out of my business," Scarlet hissed, looking her up and down disgustedly. She walked across the room and took the letter off her messenger. "Thanks. You may go back to your bed," she grunted ungracefully.

He nodded gratefully and exited the room. Scarlet followed, ignoring Gleam's burning stare tracking her every move. Giving her a last glare, Scarlet flew up to her library, excited to read the scroll. Once she was seated with the scroll set in front of her, she unrolled it and spread it out on the table. She began to read.

Dear Queen Scarlet, it read. 

I have received and read your letter, and I must say, I am pleased that you have come to this decision. The dragonet will be a wonderful addition to my collection in the weirdling tower.

Yes, I will take her, under one condition: you do not ask for her back afterwards. This is a permanent trade - yes, by my decision, whether you do or do not have a problem with that. I will send the treasure over tomorrow, and you send Gleam over at the same time, at, let's say, afternoon.

If you go back on our decision and do not have Gleam over by the time one of the moons are full (which is in two days), I'll have you know that I will cause a whole another war, just for our kingdoms, and it will not stop until you end up dead.

Just a heads up. I hope to see your dragonet by tomorrow.

From your SandWing ally,

Queen Burn. 

Scarlet put the scroll in one of her drawers, unable to contain her excitement. 

So it was settled.

Tomorrow, Gleam would be shipped over to the SandWings.