CHAPTER SEVEN

Edited ✅ as of 01/06/23

The sound of bars rattling woke Gleam. 

Sleepily, she opened her eyes, confused and wondering what had disturbed her slumber, to find Scarlet opening the lock on her cage door. It caused a metallic clanging sound.

"Do you mind?" Gleam said irritably. "I was trying to sleep."

Scarlet ignored her, and, as the lock fell to the ground with a thump, she swung open the door. She waltzed inside, grabbed the chain lead, and dragged Gleam with her out of the birdcage. Gleam yelped in pain, then panic clouded like a fog over her vision as she felt an unbearable, horrible pressure strangling her neck. Unable to breathe, she increased her pace until she was matching Scarlet's, and sighed in relief when she found air again.

"What was that for?" Gleam demanded angrily.

Scarlet kept her eyes on the door they were headed for.

"Hello? I'm talking to you," Gleam growled. Still no answer. "Listen-"

"No, you listen," Scarlet snarled, stopping and turning around to face Gleam. She tugged on the lead so hard that it made Gleam fall forwards with a cry; their snouts were now inches apart. Scarlet hissed in her face. "I've had enough with you. I'm sending you off to Burn so she can have a go at dealing with your arrogance."

Gleam gasped. "But- no, that's not - I didn't-" she couldn't find words to explain her rage and fear. How could Scarlet? She had thought that they were friends. She had thought that Scarlet had actually loved her.

"Maybe you can learn a thing or two about obedience from her," Scarlet growled. She smirked at Gleam. "The hard way."

"But I don't want to live with Burn!" Gleam cried. "She's scary. She'll eat me alive!"

Scarlet shrugged. "That's between you and Burn," she responded, unconcerned, and carried on walking, forcing Gleam to follow.

"Please can you keep me? One more chance! I promise I will listen to everything you say. Please!" Gleam begged.

"Sorry, is what I would say if I felt any remorse, but it's already been arranged," Scarlet responded. "Also I gave you plenty of chances before, I was kind to you even when you weren't."

"What if I refuse to go?" Gleam said stubbornly.

"Then I'll kill you," Scarlet responded simply.

"But you can't," Gleam reminded her smugly. "I can kill you before you can even get close to me."

Scarlet whirled around again. "Now you listen here, you-"

The door opened, and outside stood two burly-looking male SandWings. They were both heavily armoured; they had metal helmets and chest plates - as if a bit of armour will save them if my power kicks in, Gleam thought grimly - and one of them held a sharp spear. It was quite blunted, showing it had been used before, and dried blood crusted the end of it. He had a pouch made out of camel skin slung around his neck, and some of his claws were missing, whilst others were uneven. However battle scars laced his scales, showing he was no stranger to fights, and his deformities just proved he was a survivor and formidable opponent. His dangerous tail twitched. 

The other SandWing was carrying a large cage - approximately the size of the one Scarlet had kept Gleam in before. He was slightly taller and broader than the other SandWing, and his arms were muscular. His chest had a long scar inched across his scales, showing his seniority. His scales were almost brighter than the average SandWing's, and his tail was longer than usual. Must be some sort of hybrid, Gleam thought, staring at him. His mysterious, onyx-black eyes were cold and calculating as he glared back at Gleam.