CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Elk!" Gleam roared, leaping forwards and crashing into the bars, making a jangling sound which rung Gleam's ears. She scratched at the bars furiously.

"Stop!" Scarlet snarled. She looked pointedly at the scar she gave Gleam which had half-blinded her, and Gleam knew the threat there: continue and you will get a matching scratch on your other eye. So Gleam stopped.

"So, your name is Elk, I presume?" Scarlet said in her cold, slithery voice.

"Uh, yes?" Elk responded.

"All I wanted to tell you was that you will be fighting in the arena tomorrow. Any objections?" Scarlet's eyes glittered dangerously - a hidden message saying, I dare you to object.

"Um, no, none at all," Elk stammered.

"Good," Scarlet said smoothly. She nodded at Merlot and Rose, and the two dragonesses turned, budging Elk with them, and exited. Scarlet examined her talons, and then the door opened yet again to reveal two more guards. This time, they were escorting a scared, nervous-looking male NightWing.

Huh, Gleam thought, tracking him curiously with her head tilted on one side. As soon as the guards stopped, the NightWing fell into a perfect bow in front of Scarlet. Gleam could tell, even though she tried to hide it, that Scarlet was impressed.

Not long after the NightWing and his guards entered, another pair of guards came into the room. This time they had a rather sweet-looking MudWing between them. The MudWing too crouched down low but started whispering to the NightWing. The NightWing shook his head in response and looked up at Scarlet.

"The NightWing is trying to tell you that it's rude to talk to anyone in the room before the queen addresses you," Scarlet said. "Seriously, what do they teach dragonets these days?"

Suddenly Gleam recognised the two dragonets. If the NightWing and MudWing know each other, then of course they must be from the prophecy! It was Clay and Starflight!

Gleam's thoughts were interrupted by muffled roaring from the entrance. She looked as six guards entered, fighting with a SeaWing dragonet, who was lashing out with her claws, teeth and tail. Six dragons! Gleam told herself this must be Tsunami, the fiercest of the five dragonets. 

Scarlet watched them with a bemused expression. Finally the guards gave up and let Tsunami go, who glowered at the queen, not moving.

"OK, now that you're all here-" Scarlet began.

"All? Where's Sunny? What did you do to Glory? She looks like she was drugged!" Tsunami exploded. 

Scarlet gave her a dangerous look. "Sunny is somewhere, being prepared to be given to Burn. I heard she likes weird things. Sunny will fit right into her collection."

Gleam noticed that Starflight suddenly turned pale and looked ill.

"And as for Glory," Scarlet continued. "I think she quite likes it here. She hasn't complained. She just lays there in the sunshine all day. Lazy creature. Just like every RainWing."

Gleam realised Glory suddenly stiffened the tiniest bit. Was Glory awake and listening to this conversation?

"Now, in two days it is my hatching day. I have a special celebration planned tomorrow. I want you all to be good, and I especially want one of you to fight. Who is the strongest out of all of you?" Scarlet asked.

"Me," Tsunami and Clay both said at the same time.

"That's very cute, but seriously."

"Me. I always beat you in fights, remember? I am stronger," Tsunami reminded him.

"Yes, but I'm oldest, and I tried to kill you in your eggs. I'll fight," Clay said the last bit louder.

Gleam shivered. Sweet, kind-hearted Clay tried to kill his friends whilst they were still in their eggs?

"Very well. Take these two away... and prepare him for the arena."

---

Gleam sat on the small space she had next to Glory's tree. Scarlet had given her barely any space because the tree Glory rested on consumed most of the space Gleam used to call hers. She was tied to Glory's tree since Scarlet couldn't reach over to hold her chain.

It was the day after the preparations, the day before Scarlet hatched. Burn was seated in the throne beside Scarlet, and now they were all waiting for the battles to start.

Vermillion flew down from one of the windows of the palace and stopped in mid-air in the middle of the arena. "Good morning, everyone. Today it is a very special day, as it is Queen Scarlet's hatching day. We welcome honoured SandWing guests and MudWings. For our first battle, please welcome onto the battlefield... Clay of the MudWings and Fjord of the IceWings!"

Clay was dropped into the sands of the arena, not long before Fjord was.

"Claws up, fire ready... fight!"

As Gleam watched, she got a sense of deja vu. Since she was one, Scarlet had forced her to come out and watch the bloody battles. Gleam hadn't understood much then, and she wasn't sure why Scarlet wanted her to watch when a baby dragon wouldn't know what was going on, but Scarlet said it was so Gleam could get used to future, bloodier battles.

Down in the battlefield, Fjord was darting towards Clay, trying to land a blow, but Clay dodged without trying to attack him, and looked like he was trying to speak to the IceWing. Come on, Clay, Gleam thought. Fight! 

"Slice his throat!" the crowd suddenly howled. "Rip his talons! Oo, gouge his eyes! Gore, gore, gore!"

Gleam shivered at these bloodthirsty dragons' attitude. How could they want to see a dragon die so badly?

"Come on, kill each other!" Scarlet yelled. "Before I come down there and kill you both myself!"

Gleam watched intently, willing Clay on. If only she could summon enough anger towards Fjord...

Suddenly Fjord tripped Clay, and they both fell with Fjord on top. Fjord said something to Clay, and Gleam lip read him saying, "time to die."

No! Clay, don't give up, Gleam pleaded. 

Suddenly there was a roar. Everyone turned to look to see a blue dragon struggling to right herself after trying to get to Clay. It was Tsunami. The other prisoners yelped and shouted, scrambling at the rock to try right themselves as Tsunami's weight threatened to pull them all down.

Gleam turned her attention back to the arena to see Fjord suddenly have a couple of inky splatters on his neck and face. Confused, he reached up to wipe them off.

Then he let out a bloodcurdling howl.

It was like nothing Gleam had ever heard before. He screamed like he was dying, and Gleam wondered what was happening.

Then she saw it.

The black spots were eating into his skin.

Fjord clawed at his neck as if he was trying to claw it off. His eye had disintegrated, and he clutched his face with a roar. Clay stared at him, horrified.

Gleam suddenly realised this must be the RainWing venom. The black splatters looked identical to when Blue sprayed a couple of bushes. This was working like the venom did on the shrubs.

Which meant that only a RainWing could've hurt Fjord.

And the only RainWing on the balcony, the only RainWing attending the festival... was Glory.

Author's Note

Yes, this is a real scene in The Dragonet Prophecy, and yes I changed a bit of the words and script. 

Anyways, we are so close to the end of this story! Wow, time flies, I thought I had only started this today! There will be a sequel to this, a book two to the A Proven Destiny arc which will be Blue's POV. I am super excited to introduce you all to the book two, so make sure to stay tuned for book two when it comes out!

ILY all! <3 - luna/kat