A Series of Unexpected Encounters

You were able to take two breads today and run to the same route as yesterday. However, to your surprise, someone blocked your way as you entered the forest.

Whilst your eyes were like a pair of red rubies, this man who wears an elegant black clothing had a long scarlet red hair. The man clearly is a noble of the village. You wouldn't wonder even if he declares he owns the mansion and the orchard. His arms were crossed as he turned to face you.

"My, I never expected a fair maiden to be looting bread from the festival," the man said.

You immediately felt guilty for what you did. Well, you truly do not want to be a looter — had you have a even a little means to earn even a few mora for food.

"F-forgive me, my lord, I had no choice. I have no money and no food to eat," you responded.

The man looked you from head to toe. "How come? If I may say, you do not look like a poor villager to me. I would probably think, based on your attire, that you are... from Schneznaya?" he said.

And he is right, yes, nowhere else. But what are you gonna say now? Can you tell him you are not in the running from the Tsaritsa? Do you tell him you're being chased by the Fatui? You can't. You will definitely sound like a fool.

"I-I..."

"And by the way, why are you going to the woods? This is the direction of Dragonspine — with subzero climate?" he continued to ask.

'Dragonspine? So that's what the icy place is called?' You were delighted to know at least where you are currently settled. Your reaction did not escape the man's prying eyes.

"I see... So you didn't even know that place." He placed his index and thumb fingers under his chin. "I have far to many questions. You will have to come with me," he said.

"No, I can't," you sternly replied.

"Why is that? As far as I can see, I have every reason to take you in for a proper interrogation," the man said.

"I... You can't," you sternly replied again. To the man's surprise, your body seemed to have dissolved into the air and turned to ice spectacles as you dashed every meter to flee and lose him. 'This will be my last delicious bread for the time being,' you thought as you run to Dragonspine.

~~~~~

DILUC'S POV

"What the-?" Diluc's eyes were in awe as he saw the woman dissolve into icy spectacles. Like an icy breeze, she dashed past him, to his shock.

"Wait!" Diluc shouted. He followed the icy spectacles to the forest.

'She really is going to Dragonspine!' he thought. He continued to pursue the direction taken by the lady. Until he was almost there— at the icy boundary of Dragonspine. However, he halted and hid behind a nearby tree upon seeing the lady stop.

For some reason, she is now surrounded and being spoken to by two Fatui Skirmishers and a Fatui agent. The lady stood amidst the whites — her hair blown softly by the soft chilling breeze coming from the snowy mountain. He could not fathom how this woman actually withstands this.

"So our source was right! You really were scooting between Dragonspine and Dawn Winery," the Electrohammer Vanguard said.

"We finally found you after weeks. The Tsaritsa has been waiting for you for a long time now. You must go back to Snezhnaya and finally fulfill your purpose," the Hydrogunner Legionnaire said.

Diluc saw the lady take a fighting stance.

"And what? Prolong her life? I will not be possessed by the evil Tsaritsa!" the lady said.

"Ha! You are brave, I'd have to say. But we were given orders to drag you home, and we will be doing just that," the Fatui Agent said.

Diluc saw the lady raise her hands and close her fists. Immediately, a blizzard came and surrounded the Fatuis. However, it only barely stopped them. The lady seems powerful yet untrained. She could not truly manipulate the blizzard to defeat them. She fell on her knees weakened by what she just did, her bread rolled on the frozen grass. Diluc felt pity for the lady.

"Take this..." Diluc unleashed a phoenix like flame from his sword.

"What?!" the three Fatuis said.

Diluc slowly approached the fight scene.

"This lady has committed a crime within Dawn Winery premises. I am taking her for interrogation," he proclaimed.

The Electrohammer Vanguard stood and shouted at Diluc. "What? Who do you think you are?"

The man raised his face and nudged his sword forward. "I am Diluc Ragnvindr, owner of Dawn Winery. I also despise Fatuis and most improtantly your Tsaritsa," he said.

"We do not care who you are!" The Hydrogunner Legionnaire said.

"You don't? Hmpf. Then we settle this the hard way," Diluc said.

"Wait!" the Fatui Agent said. He gestured the twi skirmishers to back off. "We will not win against him."

He then spoke to Diluc.

"We will retreat for now, but beware of the consequences of this. That woman is the next most suitable body for the Cryo Archon. We will not stop until she is taken back to Snezhnaya." The Fatui said.

The three then ran to the west and vanished from Diluc's and the lady's sight.

Diluc turned to the lady and gave stretched out his hand.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Y-yes, my Lord," she replied.

"Where are you staying?"

"Not far from here, my Lord. Please, forgive me for looting and running away."

"We shall talk about this. But first, bring me to where you are currently settled," Diluc said.

~~~~~

READER POV

You took Diluc's hand to stand. You brought him in the tiny cavern beneath the mountain. You took some tinder and wood. Diluc offered to light the fire instead.

Diluc looked around and saw nothing inside but you, him, the stones, and the fire.

"How long have you been here?" Diluc asked.

"5 days," you responded.

"And how long have you been hiding from the Tsaritsa?"

"About three weeks."

"Huh. What's your name?"

"I'm (y/n)."

Diluc crossed his arms and looked down.

"Had you told me your circumstances when I interrogated you earlier, I probably would not believe you. However, seeing what happened between you and those Fatui made me learn the facts for myself."

Diluc raised his face and looked at you.

"I will take custody of you from now on, he said.

"I told you my Lord, it's dangerous-"

"It's more dangerous - not just to me but to Teyvat - to let you be taken by the Tsaritsa. If she is to be reborn, I can only imagine an increase in her power."

'He's right. The Cryo Archon is indeed a great threat to the world,' you thought.

"I can clearly see that you have nothing, that's why you have resorted to looting. The three pieces of bread you took are nothing but 30 mora. I can pay for that for now; you can pay me when you're earning by yourself," he said.

"Thank you, my Lord," you replied.

"No, I think you can repay me now for that 30 mora," he said.

"Er?" you gave him a quizzical look.

"Call me Diluc."

~~~~~