The Next Morning

READER POV

"Good morning, Adelinde," you told the head house maid.

"Good morning," Adelinde replied with an ear-to-ear smile. "Are you ready for your duties today?"

You nodded.

"Very well," she started. "These are your first three tasks. First, dust the furnitures and arrange the dining table like yesterday. Second, serve Master Diluc's breakfast, and third, pick grapes in a new area in the orchard. Do you have any questions?"

"None. I understand my morning duties. Please let me know if there is anything else that you need help with, Adelinde," you told her.

Adelinde just replied with a smile.

You went off to get the feather-duster and start the cleaning. You checked the flowers you've placed in the dining table. Seeing their still vibrant colors, you decided not to replace it for now.

After dusting everything, you went to the kitchen to get Diluc's food.

"Adelinde, I'm here."

"Good. As for your second task — here's Master Diluc's food."

The kitchen maid handed you a tray. On top of it is the food under an ornate dish cover. A small pitcher of grape juice and a beautiful glass are on the side, along with the gold-silver utensils inside a white table napkin.

"Y/N, you will bring this upstairs to his room. Pour him some grape juice. Afterwards, you will wait for him to finish his food outside his door," Adelinde instructed. "By the way, his room is the first on the left."

"Alright," you replied. You carefully picked up the tray and left the kitchen. You cautiously walked up the stairs until you are already facing Diluc's room. You placed the tray on the table beside the door, then knocked. You waited for a few seconds until you heard his voice.

"Yes?" Diluc asked from the inside.

"Good morning, Diluc. Your food is here," you replied.

"Come in," he said.

You carefully opened the door and brought the tray in.

"Good morning," you said to him after placing the tray on the table. You looked at him and saw him sitting in his bed. His hair is disheveled, yet his eyes alert.

Your heart thumped as you liked what you saw.

"It's you," he said. He reached for a folding breakfast table on his bedside. "Please, Y/N, I would like to eat on my bed."

"Sure," you replied. You arranged his breakfast and poured him some grape juice.

"Thank you," Diluc said.

"You're welcome. I shall be outside if you need anything," you told him.

However, Diluc took your wrist. You looked at him.

"No. Wait for me here."

"O-okay," you replied. Confused, you stood on his bedside, like a lamp.

Diluc chuckled.

"I apologize for not being clear. I want you to sit here beside me," he said.

Your heart pounded. 'Sit beside him?! In his bed? Of course your initial response is to refuse.

"Uh... I—"

But Diluc interrupted you.

"It's okay," he said.

You had no idea why he is being like this, but you anyway chose to obey. You sat on his left.

"Have you eaten?" he asked as he took his first bite.