What Font Works?

Chances are, you've just started making covers. After all, we don't want our blurred out profile pictures as every cover, do we? So most of us have taken up the graphics hobby in order to display/advertise our work properly. But if you're anything like I was, when it comes to fonts, you're probably completely lost.

Well, the first thing you need to do is download some.

1001freefonts is probably my favorite site to gather fonts, because you can type your title in and preview it before you choose to download a font. There is also fontsquirrel and dafont, both great sources.

I'll bet you're probably thinking, I'll just choose the flashiest, most different one, because that'll be sure to attract attention, right?

Wrong.

What you want is something readable. Plain is good. You want it to look professional and, though some of the other fonts look cool, they usually aren't professional. Just keep it simple. My current favorite font is called Goudy Trajan Regular. I think I got it from fontsquirrel. Some other good ones are League Gothic, Cinzel, and Optimus Princeps.

But don't limit yourselves. Try out different fonts and see what works for you. Remember to keep it readable though. Always check the thumbnail during save to make sure people are going to be able to read your book cover on the app.

Also, if you can help it, use no more than two different fonts on your cover. One is fine, but no more than two. Unfortunately, only the most adept graphic designers can slide more than two fonts = as I've learned from many of my own failed attempts.

Vote if you had trouble finding the right fonts.