Thesaurus Vomit

Though the thesaurus is a good place to find colorful words, there is definitely a thing or two to be said about using the thesaurus too much.

The misconception is that the bigger, rarer the word is, the more professional you are. That's simply not true. Actually, quite the opposite. If people see you using too many unnecessary words, they're going to know that you're an amateur. Writers usually go for the most simple way to get their point across. Sure, they'll paint it up and make it glitter, but the trick is to mostly use normal, every day words to get it there.

Why not use a bundle of advanced words instead? Because people read to relax and get lost in the story; they can't do so if they're reaching for a dictionary every few minutes. Trust me, like all other book addicts, I know a lot of words, but I guarantee that if you comb the thesaurus to fill your book, even the most avid reader will be scratching their noggin.

"But it makes me look smarter," you may say.

It doesn't. When you could have said 'walked off', but you choose to say 'ambulated abreast' instead, the reader is going to feel like you're trying too hard. It isn't natural. It doesn't flow.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love learning new words and seeing colorful language. I won't even object if you use the thesaurus to substitute a word you've already used a few times or just to find the right word. But when it comes to advanced words, use them sparingly please.

Vote if you've been scared off from a story by thesaurus vomit.