Beginning a Story

So you want to write, but you just don't know where to start your story. That's a highly common situation.

Usually we begin at the point where your story starts to pick up in the life of your main character. For example, in my story The Feeders, I chose to start the story with her having a very untraditional breakfast, in front of the news with zombies all over the screen. In my story Vampocalypse, I chose to start it moments before my main character meets the person that helps her escape vampire captivity, hence giving her a new life.

You can also look at the start of popular published books to see where they start. In Harry Potter, it begins when Harry has just survived an attack by Voldemort - the very thing that put the entire story into motion. In Twilight, the story starts as Bella moves to Forks, a place where her life will change.

When you plot your story, think of where it actually begins. It helps to just get straight to it. So instead of waking your character up and going through all of that tedious stuff just to get him/her to school where the real thing happens, just start him/her pulling up to the school. If your character fails a test that ultimately causes them to leave medical school and become a vampire hunter or thrill seeker, start with them receiving results of the test. If your character's life changes with the death of someone, start at the point where that impacts them (this could be done in dream sequence as well, sort of a memory, then your character can wake up in their newly changed life).

If you're having trouble determining where to start, just think about the reason for your story. When you have a reason, think of how it comes upon your character. Start right before that happens.

If you need any help, feel free to message in the comments :)

Vote if you've ever found beginnings difficult.