chapter five

please excuse any mistakes, I'll edit later.

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS A FLASHBACK
denoted by the ♡♡s

SOUNDTRACK #11:
Aaliyah — 4 page letter

Solana sighed, feeling the shower water burn her skin slightly. As much as she tried putting on a front that she didn't miss Quest for the past three weeks, last week when he said those sweet things to her before she sat on his face ran through her mind at all times. She hated that he still made her feel all butterflies and rainbows like she used to when he used to speak to her in high school and when they first got married. In her mind it was stupid of her to still feel this way about a man she was sure didn't give a fuck about her.

It was plenty of options she could've chosen rather than marrying him and sometimes she wished that she did. She could've moved to California with Leo or Chicago with Gemini. She could've taken her career in tech security a lot more seriously and made legal money, but she chose love and loyalty. Or at least she thought she chose love and loyalty. She and Haven had been raised on those principles. It was the reason why they didn't have many friends and stayed to themselves.

Love and loyalty could get you killed though, a lot of her parents' friends had lost their lives over love and loyalty. Her and Haven's parents were doing a fifty year bid because of love and loyalty. Sometimes she wondered if love and loyalty was the right choice but she couldn't say that she regretted it or she at least tried not to regret it.

Solana liked to try to live her life with no regrets, simply because you couldn't go back and change things once they've happened. Her grandfather always told her that the only thing she could control was her reaction to the situations that she created.

She washed the soap off of her body, rolling her neck slightly from the tension she held in her body. She shut the water off, stepping out of the shower, and wrapping the towel around her. She rushed to get dressed to lay in her bed. She didn't know what to do and when she didn't know what to do, she slept until she figured it out. She wasn't sure if she was going to figure this one out, but she hoped she was given a sign. She didn't know why her life crossed paths with Quest and sometimes she wished she never fell under Quest Gaulden's radar.

But her thirteen year old self didn't know what she created all those years ago. Her fifteen year old self would never know the reason why Quest almost got himself killed to save her. Her twenty-one year old self will never know how much peace she brought Quest when she married him. She was the missing piece for Quest, she just didn't know it then and she doesn't know it now.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

A fifteen year old Quest Gaulden sat in the back of his Health Science class with his jaw clenched. He watched his "ex-girlfriend", Sade, as she joked and laughed with Gemini Thomas in the front of the class. They were assigned a worksheet and their teacher had given them the option to work together or alone. Quest was going to go partner with Sade and try to get her to talk to him since this was the longest they had been broken up, but Gemini had beaten him to it.

Had it been any other nigga in their grade, Quest would've made them get up and they would've gotten up, no questions asked. But Gemini was the same hotheaded nigga from Chicago that he was in eighth grade and  Quest was on his third strike for the semester. He didn't have time to be throwing hands with Gemini again because he couldn't afford to get suspended again. He would be held back in the tenth grade for failure to attend if he did.