Gargoyles

"You just had to bring us here Nya". Jia said staring at the mansion that stood in front of them

Isabelle stood beside kia with her luggage and book in her hand.

" Goodnight" Devin waved and left.

"I had no other choice" Nya said walking ahead of them.

To Isabelle the mansion looked really scary at night, it made her grip her luggage tighter. The trio didn't mind the scenery in front of them, they had gotten used to it. The statutes didn't make it any better. Red gems were used as the eyes and with the moon out in the sky, she could see them clearly.

As they walked closer, Isabelle noticed two statues of gargoyles sitting at the very top of the mansion, she gasped and returned her gaze to the people in front of her.

"It'd just a statue, no need to get all worked up Isabelle" She murmured to herself.

A short man welcomed them with a wide smile on his face immediately they entered.

"Nya! Good to see you. All of you. Oh and you brought a friend" His eyes were now on Isabelle, he walked towards her.

"Hi. I'm lord Cyrene, nice to meet you" He introduced himself stretching forth his hand. Taking Isabelle's hand, he lowered his head and kissed it. The simple gesture left Isabelle flustered.

His gaze now on Kia. "You've been getting into a lot of trouble lately I see" Kia responded to his assumptions with a smile.

"Not going to keep you standing longer than required. Go to your previous rooms." He then turn to Isabelle . "Follow me!".

Lord Cyrene's shoe kept making a 'click' sound as it continuously hit the marble floor, Isabelle had to hasten her footsteps because the steps he took was twice the step she took.

With the small luggage in her left hand and the book in her right, Isabelle's eyes roamed the room she was taken to. It was dark and she couldn't see anything except for the furnitures in the room that were able to stand out in the dark.
Cyrene flipped a switch and a small chandelier lit up the dark room. From the pink marble floor to the white sheets that played peacefully on the bed accompanied by lots of fluffy pillows.

" This is the room you would be staying in. If you need anything, do not hesitate to call me" Lord Cyrene said and walked down the hallway.

" How can he be a lord but a butler isn't at his service?" Isabelle wondered placing the luggage on the bed. She sat on it feeling comfortable. She swung her feet after taking off her shoes to feel the sir slid between her toes.

"I wonder why Nya decided to bring us here. She doesn't say much". Isabelle said to herself. Wanting to explore the room she wouldn't be staying in, she quit looking at the chandelier and got off the bed. The dresser was where she went to and pulled out a drawer. The glittering of the jewelries that laid in the drawer gave her a warm welcome. Her eyes slightly widened as she picked up one of the necklaces and placed it around her neck without hooking it.

" You like them don't you?" The voice that came behind startled Isabelle making the jewelry slip and fall. Her head snapped at Jia who was leaning on the wall.

"How did you get in?"

"I have my ways. Even if I came through the door, you were lost in thoughts you wouldn't have heard me"

She didn't respond to him, she bent down to pick up the jewelry inspecting it closely hoping there wasn't any damage.

"There isn't. Come down for dinner" He said.

Isabelle placed the necklace in the drawer hoping it wasn't strawberry flavoured bread. Those things don't taste as nice as they sounded. The strawberry fruit tasted nice but the bread didn't. It made Isabelle wonder why as she followed Jia out of her room.

Isabelle felt a little awkward and didn't know if she should strike a conversation so she kept stating at the paintings on each side of the walls in the long hallway.

"Each painting tell a story" He said after noticing how her attention were on them.

"But most of the paintings are incomplete" Isabelle noticed.

"The incomplete ones are called Puzzle paintings. You'll have to look for the other half to complete them so you can understand the story it tells"

"Puzzle paintings? I have never heard of such" Isabelle said thoughtfully.

"We learn something new everyday." Jia said opening the huge doors to the dinning with just a push.

A feast presented itself on front of both Jia and Isabelle. A long table held the feast in place. Lord Cyrene was engaged in a conversation with Nya while Kia was busy nibbling at his food. A man wearing a suit with both his hands behind his back.

'So that's where the butler went' Isabelle thought to herself.

Isabelle took a seat beside Kia. On noticing her presence, Lord Cyrene ended his conversation with Nya.

"So I hear you are human." He asked Isabelle then drank the content in his cup. Isabelle said nothing.

"What brings you here?" He asked Isabelle but she said nothing.
Isabelle's eyes were glued to her plate. Its been so long since she had dinner with people. Back home, her, her food, her thoughts under the intensive watch of Orlando.

Orlando! She had just remembered him after so long. She was about to panic then she remembered Nya's words about how time works differently here.

'I'm sure he doesn't know I'm gone' she said to herself.

"Is something wrong with her?" Lord Cyrene asked Kia looking confused.

She raised her head up to see everyone staring at her, then she asked. "Is something wrong?"

"Cyrene? No questions asked okay? Let her be" Jia said with no formality and continued eating his food.

The widows behind the curtain was suddenly opened by the butler.

"I like to see the moon while I eat dinner". Lord Cyrene said

" odd man" Jia muttered under his breath.

The moon.. Isabelle stared at and tried to imagine what the Lord's garden would look like under the moon light. She touched Kia's lap from under the table catching his attention.

"After dinner, please follow me to walk under the moonlight." She whispered.

"I don't think that's a good idea" Kia whispered back.

"But why?. There's nothing wrong in doing that is there?"
She whispered back.

"Because the gargoyles watch over at night, they secure and guard everywhere. So you going outside st night isn't a good idea" Jia who had been listening to their conversation answered.

"Why do you want to go out?" Nya asked after hearing what Jia had just said.

"No reason". Isabelle replied and ate her food quietly grateful that there wasn't any strawberry flavoured bread while listening to the others chat.