006

"I'm breaking up with you"

My eyes widen by the girl's words who suddenly came up to me and my friend. I looked at her face and she's pretty to be honest; light brown curly hair, tanned skin, round eyes, plump lips, slightly big nose, and chubby cheeks. I looked at my friend to which the breakup is aimed to, and he doesn't seem surprised by it? I sighed and walked to the side to give them space.

I was sitting at the nearby stall and eating waffles when my friend came over. I saw the girl walk away with tearful eyes after they talked for like 20 minutes. My friend sat next to me, leaned in the chair, and let out a blow of guilt with a mix of relief.

"How many has it been this year? 2? 3?" I asked him.

"4"

I sighed and patted his back. All the girls he's dated hasn't worked out even once, I can see him trying and I know his intentions are pure. But I guess the girls can still see through him.

"You don't need to try so hard. I know you don't wanna lie to them and I can see that you care for them, genuinely. But I guess it's a different kind of love." I told him and he looked at me confused. I continued, "You don't have to pretend, I want you to be true to yourself and be happy. That way, you won't have to lie to someone again."

His eyes suddenly showed realization and he sat up straight.

"H-how did you kno-"

"C'mon! We've been friends for 9 whole years! Of course I'd know, I just didn't want to make an assumption back then, but freshman years confirmed it. I wanted you to tell me personally so I'm sorry if I'm pressuring you." I rested my palm on his back shoulder, "I didn't wanna see you hurting and keeping it to yourself anymore. I want you to know that whatever happens, I accept you and I'm proud of you for being brave all these years."

He seemed to be still shocked but his body became more relaxed, his face softened, and he smiled.

"Thank you" He said, close to tears. "A-aren't you ashamed?"

I playfully punched him "Why would I be ashamed? And why's that a question? For the times we were together, there isn't a second where I felt empty. You've been such a good friend to me; you make me laugh, you support me, we talk mean things about our hated subjects, and remember when you helped me pay the bills for my rent!" I looked at the sky as I reminisced our memories together. We laughed, cried, got mad, and shared emotions. "No matter what your gender identity is, you'll always be a friend who's important to me. I support you and I will never be ashamed. In fact, I'm proud that you're my friend!"

We laughed together and I can see relief and genuine happiness in his eyes. I pray that someday, he'll be able to smile like that freely, without the chains of guilt pressuring him, without wearing a mask every time we meet people, and without being criticized by the ones who think they're perfect.

//1 MONTH LATER//

Blisters on my palms remained unnoticed as I tried climbing up on my friend's room window. Today was the day he gathered up all his courage to come out to his mother, but it's past midnight yet I haven't reached any update from him, as a friend, I'm worried. I have a feeling that it didn't go well.

As I successfully opened his window I jumped into his room to be welcomed by darkness and an empty bed, lacking it's blanket. I looked around the room and I saw him spilled on his bedroom floor, covered in his own blanket, as if it was the only one who can hug him at the moment.

I could hear deep breaths and I know very well that it was his own way to stop himself from crying with a sound. He's broken, and it breaks my heart. I slowly walked up to him and sat on the floor with him.

I know he knows it's me. And I know that it didn't end well, I was afraid to ask. His condition itself tells me that his mother wasn't open enough to love every part of him, and it frustrates me. I don't know what to do or what to say, I don't even know if it'll be okay.

But I'll be here with him.

"Just tuck your head under the covers. I'll never leave you behind. You're safe."

I want to let him know, that he doesn't need to pretend to be someone he isn't nor tell me he's fine. Even if it's just for tonight.

Date: July 21, 2022
Time: 11:10 PM
Idea: From a song
Inspiration: Myylo and JORDY, "Tuck your head under the covers"

***
Listen to the song!