CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Lady Belva's idea of detention was ballroom dancing. In Keefe's opinion, it was the worst punishment anyone could give.

Especially if Lady Belva makes you dance with her against your will.

She had lined up all the desks along the edges of the room so there was space to dance.

As soon as the music started, Keefe reached for Sophie, hoping that maybe one day, he wouldn't have to dance with Lady Belva.

He was wrong. Lady Belva grabbed him as her partner first, and then paired Sophie with Valin, one of the drooly boys who greased his hair back and ponytailed in a very.. unflattering way.

Keefe's hair was so much better.

Keefe could see the blob of drool on his mouth from a mile away, and he could see even clearer the way he stared at Sophie. Keefe snickered every time it was her turn to promenade through the other dancers on Valin's sweaty arm. Her embarrassment radiated off her so much that Keefe felt embarrassed too, even if his feelings didn't match up with his brain, which thought this was incredibly funny.

When the bell sounded, Sophie rushed out of the room, bright pink.

He chased after her, but bumped into Valin on the way out. Keefe was pretty sure that Valin would explode from the amount of.. emotions he was feeling.

"I hope you know Valin is in love with you now," Keefe teased when he caught up with her in the hall.

"And you would know that because . . . ?"

"Please. You could see the stars in his eyes all the way across the room. They shined brighter than that blob of spit on his lips."

She laughed, and the sound warmed Keefe's heart. "You're terrible."

"I know." He grinned wickedly. "But I'm serious. I bumped his arm on my way out the door, and he was crushing hard. The Sophie Foster Fan Club has a slobbery new member."

She opened her mouth to argue when she caught what he'd said. "Wait— are you an Empath?"

Well, the secret is out now.

He winked, reaching for her hand. "Want me to tell you what you're feeling?"

She jerked away quickly, as if that was the last thing she wanted. "Thanks, I'll pass."

"Too bad I can read what you're feeling even without physical contact." He shifted his voice up a few octaves as he fanned the air in front of him. "I hope Keefe's right about Valin liking me. Guys who drool are so cute."

"Will you keep your voice down?" she hissed, glancing around to make sure no one was within earshot.

Keefe laughed.

The way she got annoyed was seriously adorable.

He fanned the air again, giving him a clearer reading of her emotions. A rush of embarrassment and a hint of irritation hit him. "Hmm. Now I can tell you're embarrassed. And a tiny bit irritated."

"You're wrong. I'm just irritated."

"Nah. You're flattered." He scooted away before she could shove him, and she certainly tried to. They walked in silence for a minute before Sophie's eyes dropped to her feet. "Could you really feel that I was irritated or were you guessing?"

She felt a little concerned..

"You look worried—you wouldn't have something to hide, would you? A secret crush, maybe?"

She sighed, annoyed. "Never mind. Forget I asked."

He cracked up. There she goes, being all annoyed again. "It's almost too easy to annoy you, you know that?"