CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Keefe got home and immediately rushed to his room, not wanting to encounter his parents and make his day even worse.

The planting was tomorrow. They didn't want to wait. Grady and Edaline probably had a lot on their mind right now.

Grady and Edaline...

Who hadn't even had a single child that survived to be at least 30. They must be devastated.

Not wanting to think about it anymore, Keefe fell on to the bed and slipped away into a dreamless sleep immediately.

At least there was no school tomorrow.

***************

When he woke up, golden light was seeping in through the windows. The sun was rising and the horizon was a blend of beautiful colors.

The world didn't deserve to look so beautiful after two amazing people had just died.

Keefe closed his window and drew the curtains until the room was completely dark.

Is this what Sophie and Dex saw in their last minutes of being alive? Complete darkness overtaking them, drowning them in cold blackness and even more cold water?

He shuddered and stumbled his way through his morning routines and ignored his hair. If the sun didn't deserve to look good, then why should his hair?

His green tunic was simple. It was plain without any embroidery or designs, and the color was so.. vibrant. So happy.

He didn't want to wear it.

Three sharp knocks rang from his door.

He stiffened. The door creaked open, and Lord Cassius stepped in.

"Are you ready?" His father didn't sound kind at all. He sounded bored and impatient, and like the first thought that came to his head when it was announced that Sophie and Dex died had been good riddance.

"In a second." Keefe mumbled, not looking up.

Lord Cassius left the room and closed the door.

Keefe unwillingly changed into his green tunic.

Dreading the moment when he would have to open his door and face all that light, he stepped backwards.

Someone knocked softly on the door. It wasn't either of his parents. He could tell immediately.

"Come in." He said, knowing it was Helia.

She opened the door and stepped in. "You're ready?"

Somehow, she had managed to make that question sound like she was asking, "Are you okay?"

Keefe shook his head and she stepped closer to him and shut the door.

His room was completely dark again, but he could faintly see the outline of Helia reaching her hand out.

He took it, and she started singing softly. Her voice was beautiful, and so soothing. He felt himself calm down slightly, and he closed his eyes.

She stopped singing after a while. "I understand, Keefe."

He hadn't said anything, but he knew she understood what he was feeling.

"My grandmother.. I loved her very much. I lost her..." She closed her eyes. "A week ago. It was very unexpected." Keefe opened his eyes and his heart ached for Helia. "Losing someone is hard. You will always live with their memory. It's your choice whether to remember them and feel like giving up, or to think of them and let their legacy motivate you. They will always be with you." She touched her finger lightly to where his heart was. "In here."