CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

They had to go to school the next day. Of course they did. But today was different. Keefe was not going to school to mope and feel sorry for himself today.

No, today would be a good day. Keefe would make sure of it. At least, he wouldn't stop smiling, even if he could.

But that was before he had gone to the healing center only to find that it was closed and outside, there was a table of supplies and instructions for every single wound that was possible.

Some students were outside, applying creams and wrapping bandages around their wounds or drinking different vials of stuff, but no one could go inside.

And the worst part was that it was silent. So either Sophie was fine and Bullhorn wasn't screaming, or that Bullhorn had already curled up next to her silently.

He wasn't worried about Dex. Thankfully, Dex had been a lot better off than Sophie, and Keefe hoped he would recover soon.

Today would be a good day. In fact, he started it out by telling the students applying medicine to their injuries about Sophie and Dex.

Just for some hope from the other students as well.

"Hey." He said to the person directly in front of him. The student, a few years younger than him, jumped and stared at Keefe, eyes wide.

"Uh.. oh, uh, hi."

"Do you know what's going on in there?" He jerked his chin toward the healing center and the students' eyes followed his.

"No..."

Keefe grinned. "It's crazy! You know Sophie Foster? The new girl? And Dex Dizznee?" Keefe felt a shiver of hope and a teensy bit of an unidentifiable emotion run down his spine as he said Sophie's name.

There were definitely some eavesdroppers now. Keefe nodded at them in acknowledgement and smiled again. "We found them, and they were alive. Barely, but they made it. They never actually drowned." He paused, looking around for further emphasis. "They were kidnapped."

Horrified gasps echoed through the hall.

"No way." A student in the back said, wandering closer. "Is that true?"

"I was there myself. And believe it or not... Sophie is a telepath. She was the whole time!"

A bunch of students gaped at him.

"Yep." He glanced at the clock, realizing it was almost time for his first class. "I gotta go. See you around."

Unsurprisingly, the news had spread around the school like wildfire, though every student had different variations of what happened.

***************

"So." Fitz drawled. "Do I even wanna know why a student came up to me and asked if Sophie really did steal a T.Rex while trying to rescue Dex from a sea snail?"

"I did not tell that to people. I swear. It would be really funny if that actually happened, though."

Marella jamp into the seat across from Keefe, eyes bright. "I've heard every possible story about what happened to Sophie and Dex, and none of them make sense. Are they even... alive?"

Keefe grinned. "Yes! Do you want to hear the real story?"

"YES!"

After Keefe finished, Marella was pale to the point that she could be transparent if she got any paler.

Seriously, it was weird. But it made sense- even Fitz and Biana were shaking after he had finished, and they already knew everything.

Maybe Keefe should consider going into the scary storytelling business.