CHAPTER NINETEEN

The days after flew by, like life did sometimes.

That sounded weird, Keefe thought as he slammed his locker shut. He'd never really gotten the hang of closing his locker quietly.

But it was true. Keefe's days passed by so fast that he almost lost all track of time in general.

Some days were fun. He went to the Vacker's house a lot.

For some time, Sophie never came. Ever. And she seemed to be ignoring everyone. Or at least that's what Biana was worried about. She was scared that Sophie was mad at her.

But apparently, Biana talked to Sophie, and then she started coming over more.

As soon as the mentors started talking about finals, though, Sophie's stress increased impossibly. She was always nervous about something.

In P.E, Sophie didn't seem to be doing much better.

Keefe was relaxing in his locker when he heard a VERY loud commotion outside. He rushed out of his locker to go see what was going on.

He felt the blood rush out of his face when he saw what was happening and he rushed forward.

Sophie was unconscious and cradled in Fitz's arms. Dex was arguing with Fitz about how he could carry her himself.

Sophie moaned and Keefe stepped up behind Dex. "What happened?" He tried not to let the panic control his voice, but when he spoke, it sounded really shaky.

Dex opened his mouth to answer but then Sophie- still unconscious- threw up.

Everywhere. All over Fitz.

Fitz grimaced, but picked her up and started walking towards the healing center.

Fitz looked over his shoulder at Keefe. "Could you please get someone to.. You know.. Clean up?"

Keefe wanted to help, but he didn't know how. So he nodded and raced to the janitor's room.

The janitor realized how urgent this was as soon as he saw Keefe, so he stood up quickly and followed Keefe.

Keefe wasn't sure what to do. Should he.. stick around and watch the janitor? Bring him paper towels? No, that was stupid. Should he check on Sophie? No, he couldn't just leave, that would be weird.

He wasn't used to feeling unsure like this.

The janitor(Mr. Deston, Keefe remembered) looked at him and his face softened. "You can check on your friend."

Keefe's shoulder sagged- not with relief, but gratefulness. "Thank you so much."

Mr. Deston smiled and nodded.

Keefe turned around and ran to the healing center. But the door was closed, and Keefe heard screaming from inside. Banshee screaming.

His stomach flipped and he took a deep breath. Dex was sitting on a chair outside, with his head in his hands. Fitz was pacing back and forth in his white undershirt.

"Is she okay?" Keefe asked, terrified. He realized what a terrible question that was.

Fitz looked up and shook his head.

Keefe swallowed.

"You should go to class, Keefe." Fitz said. His voice sounded raspy, like he hadn't spoken in three years.

Keefe wanted to complain. But he knew it wouldn't do any good. So he left.

The whole day, he couldn't concentrate on anything. He felt like he could start crying any second because Bullhorn, a banshee, was screaming his head off and when a banshee screams, it means that the person might die and Sophie might die and.. The reality crashed into him like a wrecking ball.