CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

Keefe didn't have to wait long for Sophie to wake up. A few days later, he got 4 calls at the same time- Biana, Fitz, Alden, and Elwin.

He, being the smart person he is, picked up Elwin's call. "KEEFE! SHE'S AWAKE!"

No more needed to be said. He hung up and ran. He only ran a couple steps to the vortinator, but he did run.

In a matter of 5 minutes, he was there, pacing back and forth with everyone else.

Biana was crying again, but he really, really hoped those were either tears of joy or regret for being the cause of this even if she wasn't.

If Sophie wasn't going to make it... He'd been through her death once. He never wanted to go through that again, especially if they'd saved her just to watch her die again.

"One of you can come in!" Elwin called.

They looked at each other for a second until Biana murmured softly, "I don't think I should be the first person to see her."

Fitz and Keefe looked at each other, until Keefe decided. "You go."

Fitz nodded and rushed in. He'd only been in there for a few seconds when Biana muttered, "I can't take it anymore," and ran inside. Keefe heard her start sobbing and decided to give her a few seconds before he went in and saved everyone from crying their eyes out.

Then he shoved his way into the room. "All right, enough girly drama," he said and he stopped in front of Sophie. His heart expanded about 7 times it's normal size when he saw her eyes open and completely okay. Well, almost completely okay. "I was part of the rescue too, remember? I'm the one who knew the tree you told Fitz about was the Four Seasons Tree, so if it weren't for me..." His voice trembled at the end and then he shut up so he wouldn't have to say it.

"Thank you, Keefe." She smiled, and Keefe felt whole again. She would be okay. He was okay. They were good. Everything was good.

He swallowed, hoping no one could see how much hearing her say his name unraveled him. Then he casually shrugged. "Anytime. And by the way, you're a telepath? I think that proves once an for all that you're definitely the Most. Mysterious. Girl. Ever." He stopped as he remembered how his father had reacted to finding out. "My dad was very smug when he heard you'd been training with Tiergan. He always has to be right. And this time he was."

Sophie's eyes darted to Alden.

"It's okay." He said. "You don't have to hide it anymore. In fact, everyone seems to know every detail of what happened these past few months." Keefe did not miss the way Alden's gaze shot to his for a second.

As soon as Alden finished speaking, Keefe felt a stab of embarrassment and relief from Sophie and wondered how long it had been since he'd felt her emotions.

Also, what could she be embarrassed about?

"Things are changing." Alden said. "But we'll talk about that later. Right now, you should rest."

Fitz broke in. "Not without this." He handed her a bright blue elephant stuffed animal.

"Ella!" Sophie explained burying her face between it's ears. Keefe snickered but inside, he just about died of happiness. It immediately went away when she looked up and her eyes met Fitz's. "Thank you guys for rescuing me."

Wow, not even a single glance toward Keefe. That was... sad. "Just get better, okay? School wasn't the same without you. No explosions or emergencies. Boring." 

She looked at him(finally), and smiled. "I'll try," she promised. There was a silence for a second, in which it seemed like Fitz was trying to tell Sophie something with his eyes, until she gasped. "How?"

Another silence, but now that Keefe paid closer attention, it looked like she was listening to something.

Then a burst of her anxiety and embarrassment and awe shot through him and he realized they were transmitting.

"Hey- no secret telepathic conversations you two- or I'll have to assume you guys are flirting!" When they both flushed and suddenly looked interested in some weird thing in the healing center, Keefe laughed.

"I think Dex is going to explode if I don't let him in," Elwin interrupted. Just that second, Dex burst through the door, and Fitz pulled Keefe and Biana out of the room.

*******************

When they were out of the room, Keefe grinned. "She's really awake!"

"Astute observation." Fitz said sarcastically, but he grinned too.

Bian bounced up an down on her toes. "I can't believe it. She's okay! Everything's okay! Everything will be okay!" 

They all stood there and smiled for a second before heading to the leapmaster and going home.

Home was the last place he wanted to be, but he had nowhere else to go.

And really- did anything his dad say or anything his mother didn't say matter when Sophie was okay?

Wow, I think it's been more than a year since I updated- and this chapter is only 800 words because I didn't feel like adding on. The only reason I'm finishing is because I feel incomplete- like I started a crochet project and never finished it... You know how sometimes you just NEED to do something because you just can't leave it? It's like that.