16逆光

【どうか, どうか与えて 生活を与えて】

"Please, please give me the life of my dreams"

At least two thousand years had passed, and a new King and Queen were bestowed upon the Kouka Kingdom. The kingdom was ruled by King II and Queen Kashi. It was. Things have changed now, however. There laid no Queen Kashi nor King II, and their daughters, the two princesses, were proclaimed deceased. And now—now there is only one ruler of the Kouka Kingdom. He who stood on the throne was merely the royal family's cousin. He was alone—with no one to trust and no one to listen to his guilty pleas. He who stood all alone on the throne filled with riches and grim.

He too, suffered a fate similar to Inui's.

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

When amplified by fear, a person can become filled with rage. A previous victim's fear can cause the next attacker's anger. A person's misfortune can be another's happiness. Another's happiness can be the cause of one's misfortune. Life is dependent on the domino theory, a chain reaction caused by events. Everyone is affected by this—and Inui was just one of them.

"Fear can bring anger..."

Kanna muttered as she silently watched the ceremony for the kingdom's new emperor. It was the crowning ceremony for Suwon. After her abrupt appearance in front of Suwon, she was confined to her old bedroom. She received the privilege to live lavishly, but being stuck in solitude isn't quite thrilling. For days she was confined without a single visit from anyone other than the servants. Even her captivator didn't want anything to do with her. He had been refusing and ignoring every request and letter sent by her. He had been ignoring her existence.

Knock Knock Knock

Three knocks were heard on her door. Four knocks indicated it was King II behind the door, Kanna's personal assistant would always knock three times, while her twin sister usually knocked two times. "Come in." Once allowed permission to enter, the door opened to a familiar face. "Your Highness, I brought you tea." The female said as she slightly bowed. Her facial expressions, her dull tone, her strictness—it was still like how she remembered it. To know that she was the same felt warm, comforting. Who would've thought Kanna missed this familiarity. "You don't seem delighted to see me, Aya." Kanna laughed at her ex-assistant's stiffness. Aya could only sigh at Kanna's nonchalant behavior. Placing the tea tray near her, Aya looked at Kanna. "Please don't tease me, Your Highness. You know I've missed you."

As she poured a cup of tea for Kanna, Aya talked about what happened after the three left. How Suwon met with every tribe leader to accept him as the new emperor. How he would stay in his study for days. How Min Soo had to often visit Suwon's study. How chaotic the kingdom had been prepping for the ceremony and how the people didn't hesitate to accept Suwon as the new emperor, just because he was the son of uncle Yuhon.

"I see." Kanna drank the tea as she learned about the situation. "Emperor Suwon has also accepted your request for a meeting and for letting me serve you once more." At last, Kanna thought. Kanna stood up. "Then shall we get ready? I shouldn't keep the emperor waiting."

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

"Greetings to the new emperor of the Kouka Kingdom." Kanna said as she bowed to the emperor sitting behind his desk. Suwon decided to hold the meeting in King II's study room. When she entered the room, it didn't have any lingering of the late emperor. The room became hoarded with books, scrolls, letters, and stacks of paperwork. Not only that but it was occupied by Suwon and Keishuku. In such a short time the room changed—as well as the owner, she thought. Though it was hard to tell from afar, Kanna noticed his dark eye bags and tired movements. Aya did say he would stay in the study for days...

"What brought you here."

Suwon's words broke Kanna's train of thoughts. "I've come to discuss an idea with you. However," Kanna pauses as she glances at Keishuku. "I would prefer if we discussed this matter privately." Keishuku scoffed. "A third member isn't needed." Before the two could start arguing, or even talk to each other, Suwon demanded Keishuku to leave. Without a fit, the advisor left the room.

"Now answer my question, Kanna. What is it do you want." She smiled. To know that he wanted her out of sight was amusing to her. All of his actions, in general, were amusing to her. It proved how complicated the human mind was. "You poor thing." Kanna walked toward Suwon with gleam. "How pitiful." While bending her chest over the desk, she harshly grabs his face. "Such dark eyebags you have. What kept you up at night? Planning the crown ceremony, Yona's death, or perhaps..." She laughs while closely examining his expressions and his ill appearance.

"Now that you're finally the emperor, you're trying to hurriedly find the cure for the Crimson Illness."

His expression darkens as he looks at Kanna with infuriation. "How do you know about the Crimson Illness." Suwon pushes her away from him. "I know much more than you think." With greed in her eyes, she finally speaks about the reason she's here. "With my intelligence and aid, I can give you all of the power and the riches you want." She looked insane in his eyes. "With my help, you'll be able to even find the cure for your sickening blood. The blood given to you by King Hiryuu himself." As Kanna points to herself, her next words baffled him.

"Marry me, and my services are all yours."

To be continued