ch. 13

George woke when he felt someone shift next to him, confusion drawing on his pinched lips and lining his brow, unsure of anything concerning his surroundings and also internal thoughts as he slowly breathed in consciousness.

His eyes opened in slow motions, much effort being made to even drive his eyelashes up, awareness not dawning immediately even as George stared right at Dream asleep so near beside him.

He flicked his gaze over, curling his resting fingers that were left twisted into the strands of Dream's hair, watching as the locks drifted softly over the pillow they nearly shared. George's breath was held, inklings of memories making their way back into his mind of the previous night's events, his face flooding hot at the recollections that gave him reasoning on how he ended up here.

George spent too much time just watching, too consumed by Dream pulling closer, the other sliding a hand over his waist, making George's breath expel helplessly as his nose almost brushed against the other's.

He lost his chance to leave as George laid utterly transfixed when Dream tilted his head to the side, his peaceful face now mixed with the subtle beginnings of awakened rationality, spoiling the gentleness that sat in the lines of Dream's face.

With some concern pulling at George, tugging something sore in his chest, he wanted nothing more than to smooth the reality out of Dream's expression, to lull him back to just a moment before, where there was no distress that George knew only he himself caused.

It surprised him when Dream spoke so soon, his voice still rough with sleep, eyes still mostly shut, speaking low, "You're awake."

The other said it with some hint of uncertainty, as if he was expecting something different, something other than what he was presented with now.

George lost any answer, the words dying in his throat when Dream's gaze finally lifted to him, at the emotion and awe and happiness he saw in it. In a way he absolutely couldn't help, a smile tugging easily on his lips, Dream breathed, "You're here. I thought- I fell back asleep and.. I didn't think you'd still be here."

"Did you want me to leave?"

"No," Dream dissuaded at once, clutching at George's hand to discourage him from trying to make any move to do so.

George grinned, light, laced with warmth.

Dream looked down, gaining an almost closer breath to the other, eyes flicking over parted lips. For a moment, George thought, no, expected Dream to kiss him. But the other shifted away slightly, his gaze undecided where to land on George's face, Dream backing away as if he wasn't sure of anything.

There wasn't really much else to do than finally bring up the admissions that had built up for so long. No other course was presented for them. Only for Dream to ask, his voice leaning so low and breathy, "Can I say something probably really stupid?"

George began to lift into a smile, murmuring, "You usually do."

Then, a pause. George could see the hesitancy appear in Dream's expression, restricted over the words forming on his mouth. He only anticipated, George ached for Dream to break the silence between them.

It almost surprised him more when the other did.

"I think.." Dream said, nearly defeated by uttering this statement, ready to give up on everything he had as he whispered, "I think I want more with you, George."

"More?" George questioned, his brow upturned.

"Yeah," Dream replied, already crumbling to bits as he looked away, his skin pricking with anxiety, running a hot flame over his throat that made his words more rushed, "More, I just- I want to be with you."