𝖎𝖛. flight of the fat lady

𝔳𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔢 𝔦, 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗 — flight of the fat lady

''There you go,'' Evangeline said, ''I got as much as Cassius and I could carry.'' A shower of brilliantly coloured sweets fell into Juliet's lap. It was dusk, and the Slytherin girl half just turned up in the common room, the tip of her button-nose pink thanks to Hogsmeade's wind.

''You're a star,'' Juliet thanked, halting the massage she was treating her lower abdomen too to pick up a packet of tiny black Pepper Imps. ''How was Hogsmeade? Where did you and Cassius go?''

''Everywhere from Honeydukes to The Three Broomsticks. And when your mother has your head for breaking the restrictions of your diet, Juliet, I want no part in it.''

''What she doesn't know will not hurt her. Besides, when one is on her monthly, exceptions must be made.''

Evangeline hummed thoughtfully, glancing at the steady streams of snakes exiting the common room. ''We'd better go down, the feast'll be starting in five minutes . . . ''

The two girls hurried through the bare stretch of stone wall and out the dungeons, reaching the Entrance Hall before crossing into the Great Hall. It had been decorated with hundreds and hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats and many flaming orange streamers, which where swimming lazily across the stormy ceiling like brilliant watersnakes.

The food was delicious; even Sylvia, who was not her usual self recently, and Pollux, who had become broodier than usual, managed second helpings of everything. The rest of the six followed suit, not sparing a square of treacle tart, all too enamored to notice Evangeline's constant glances at the staff table. Why her eyes kept on straying to Professor Lupin, she did not know. Yet she could not stop observing how cheerful and well he looked, talking animatedly to tiny little Professor Flitwick.

It had been such a heart-warming and comforting day that Evangeline's good mood couldn't even be spoiled by Draco, who shouted through the crowd just as she was leaving the hall, ''The Dementors send their love, Potter!''

However, the atmosphere was grim in the Great Hall as Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin were sent to join Gryffindor a mere twenty minutes later. The yellow, blue, and green house members all looked extremely confused, frowning at the contrast in mood after the feast.

''The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle,'' Dumbledore informed the students as Professor McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the Hall, ''I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will all have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall and I am leaving Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately; send word with one of the ghosts.'' He paused, about to leave the Hall, before remembering, ''Oh, yes, you'll be needing . . . ''