𝖝𝖎𝖝. the first task

( 𝔳𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔢 𝔦𝔦, 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓 — the first task

The first task of the Triwizard Tournament was a daunting one. It commended on the twenty-fourth of November, involving retrieving a golden egg from the protection of a dragon.

Evangeline sat through the first three contestants rather calmly. It wasn't that she didn't care for their safety; that wasn't the case, at all. But Remus cared about Harry, and she cared about Remus, so that was where her loyalties lied.

She cheered and clapped politely as Cedric Diggory fooled the blue-gray Swedish Short-Snout by transfiguring a boulder into a Labrador, which diverted the dragon's attention long enough for him to steal the egg. He was followed by Fleur Delacour, who charmed the Common Welsh Green into a trance, yet he snored out a flame that set her robes alight. Third was Viktor Krum, fighting against a small Chinese Fireball with a Conjunctivitis Curse, causing the beast to thrash about and damage some of the other eggs.

Finally, out came Harry. The brunette had wished him luck when she had passed him in the halls earlier that day, secretly sympathising with the fact Ron had turned against him for the time being, but she supposed she understood where both the boys were coming from. The Potter boy couldn't help but have trouble following him like an angry swarm of bees, but the Weasley boy couldn't help his insecurities either.

At the other end of the enclosure he had found himself in was the Hungarian Horntail. She crouched low over the clutch of her eggs, her wings half-furled, her evil, yellow eyes upon him. A monstrous, scaly,black lizard, thrashing her spiked tail, leaving yard-long gouge marks in the hard ground. The crowd was making a great deal of noise, yet Evangeline couldn't decipher whether it was friendly or not.

He raised his wand in the air, before he shouted, ''Accio Firebolt!''

It only took a couple of seconds before the broom was hurtling towards him around the edge of the woods, soaring into the enclosure, and stopping dead in midair beside him, waiting for him to mount.

He swung his leg over the broom and kicked off from the ground high up into the heavens, before diving back down again. The Horntail's head followed him; there was no secret about what she was going to do and pulled out of the dive just in time; a jet of fire had been released exactly where he would have been had he not swerved away.

''Great Scott, he can fly!'' Bagman yelled as the crowd shrieked and gasped. ''Are you watching this, Mr Krum?''

Harry soared higher in a circle; the Horntail was still following his progress; its head revolving on its long neck — if he kept this up, it would be nicely dizzy.