Something Is Coming

Your POV

You can hear concerned voices all around you, but you pay no attention. You are so focused on just trying to breath.. in.. out.. in.. out. You don't want another panic attack; they've been happening far too regularly for your liking.
"Y/N, please! Say anything! Let us know you're ok!" Robin's worried voice cuts through your panic.
Slowly, you unravel yourself from the protective fetal position that you've come to love, sit up and look directly into your best friend's eyes.
"Robin, I'm so sorry" You whisper, eyes glistening with tears.
"It's ok, it's ok, you have nothing to be sorry for, we were all just so worried when you didn't come back, we've been looking for you for hours" she explained.
A quick glance around showed you that you had indeed been gone for hours; it was no longer daylight and you can only see your friends because they have their flashlights.
"I... I think I'm losing my mind. Ever since that storm, I keep seeing things that aren't there." You tell your friends. Will shoots you a strange look.. an almost knowing, yet concerned look.. like maybe he knows something. Or are you becoming paranoid now too? You brush that off quickly.
"Let's get you home, you're freezing. We'll get you warmed up and talk some more" Robin replied.
You all walked back to the cars to make your way back to your house. Everyone said their goodbyes and you and Robin headed upstairs. You stayed awake for hours, explaining all your worries. Robin listened intently and replied at all the right times, but you could tell that she didn't really understand.
Eventually you fell asleep, your head in Robins lap, crying quiet tears. Tomorrow will be better surely?

The next day

Today's a new day, a better day. You woke up feeling rather happy. Maybe just having your best friend to talk to was all the therapy you needed. It was like a big weight had been lifted off your shoulders. You all had plans to meet up for milkshakes at The Shiver Shack after school - it was not only Summer break, but it was the last time you'd ever have to set foot in Hawkins High!
The day seemed to drag.. but everyone was in such high spirits. It was a nice change to your usual doom and gloom mood.
"Y/N, can I come in the car with you?" Asked a quiet voice. You turned around to see El standing there, her big doe eyes pleading with you.
"Hey El, yeah sure, not a problem" you replied.
You both set off across the lot towards the Chevy. As you buckled up, you could feel El staring at you. You turned to her with a quizzical look on your face.
"Everything ok El?" You asked.
"Yes, I just wanted to ask you something" she replied. You motioned for her to go ahead.
"The storm the other night, it was strange yes? When you have been 'seeing things', does it remind you of the storm?"
"What do you mean?" You replied. Instantly, that feeling you thought you lost surged right back to the surface.
"The colours.. the feeling of danger.." she seemed almost hesitant to carry on. The purple lightening and the purple haze from the split trees came straight to mind.
"I thought I saw a purple glow coming from the damaged trees at the lake last night, but when I looked harder it wasn't there anymore".
"Ok, I ask because I have seen similar things too. I searched for you last night, I went inside your mind to try and find you... but something was different. Where you were laying, there was a purple blanket covering your whole body.. and when I touched it.. it shocked me, like electricity, then it was gone. But it hurt. I don't know what it means, but I am afraid Y/N. Like something is coming" she explained.
You were lost for words. What could you possibly reply to that? Your mind was a big jumble of thoughts that you couldn't bring together. What does this mean? Are you in danger? Is something coming for you? You don't think you can take anymore pain or heart ache. It would truly break you.
You start the car and drive silently to the Shiver Shack to meet your friends. El too seemed lost in thought, her brow furrowed with concern.

The Shiver Shack

The Shiver Shack was located just South of the old burned down Mall. It reminded you of an old western saloon. A wooden building with batwing doors. It was an odd place to have an ice cream parlour.. in the middle of nowhere. You have to rely on a car to get you there.
Will got the milkshakes in. Turns out he didn't even try to race to the Lake. He hasn't been able to go in since we found the gate there last year. Poor Will, it seems it will take a long time for him to recover. He's been through so much.
Everyone was excitedly talking about the plans they had for Summer break. You just sat and listened, too wrapped up in your own thoughts to feel excitement. If someone asked a question, you responded robotically. You could tell by the looks on their faces that their concern for you was growing.
El didn't speak much either. You know it's bad when El mentions impending doom. Ok that's a bit dramatic, but that's what it feels like. You wonder whether you should tell your friends about El's warning. You will have to talk to her again before you make that decision.
"I'm just stepping outside for some fresh air" you declare, standing up suddenly.
"Want me to come with you?" Robin asked, a tinge of nervousness in her voice.
"No no it's fine, I'll only be a minute" you reassure her. You find yourself irritated again, you do not need a babysitter. You know it's not their fault. They are only worried. And rightly so. If one of them were acting like you have been lately, you would be very uneasy about it too.
Stepping out into the crisp evening, you inhaled a big breath of air and let it out slowly. Your mom told you that breathing exercises help with anxiety, and so you've been practising. It's helped a bit- it gives you a moment to steady your nerves and try to organise your mind.
You take a slow walk round to the back of the shack, you just want a moment to sit down and reflect on the past few days. El's warning has done nothing to convince you that you're not seeing things. Knowing she has seen the same purple haze, but covering your body? Well, if that doesn't scream that something's wrong.. it brings back the two glimpses of someone you saw.. Eddie. You know it could've been anyone, but now you are sure it was him.
What do you do with this information? How are you supposed to gather yourself and stay calm and collected? It seems impossible. But whats the next step?
You hear footsteps approaching and turn towards them. It's El. She's come to check that you're ok. She sits with you for five minutes in silence, holding your hand. So many questions are lingering in the air that you want to ask.. but don't believe she will have the answers to.
You jump out of your skin as El suddenly scrambles to her feet and starts scanning the area. A creeping fear grips you, winding around your body until it takes hold.
"Something is coming.." she whispers.