The Calling

Eddie's POV

Eddie held up his shield in apprehension. This wasn't right.. they shouldn't be able to see them. They didn't move a single inch as Eddie, Kali and El started moving forward. Slow steps, one at a time.. as if walking on egg shells. Not a single word was spoken; they did not want to damage the illusion.. if the illusion was even working. It took them about five minutes to get half way through the creatures at the slow pace they were taking. Eddie shot El a questioning look, to which she just shrugged her shoulders. It seemed as if the bats could see them... as their eyes followed every step that they took. If they couldn't see them then maybe they could sense them? Eddie was technically a creature of the Upside Down.. he died here and was resurrected here by Vecna. Maybe that's why they didn't attack... but who knows. Eddie was just grateful to still be alive.

When they made it through to the other end without a single scratch, Kali fist bumped the air in a sort of victory move. This was definitely exciting for her. The three of them carried on walking towards the sound that was ringing in their ears, their pace much quicker to get away from the bats. Eddie glanced back once to see a thousand glowing red eyes staring after him. Eurgh. It gave him the ick.
Another couple of minutes had passed when Eddie felt a strange tickling sensation at the back of his head... like something was prodding his brain. He shook it off and signalled to Kali and El that they were close to finding the sword. The path they were following had taken a narrow turn that lead them through a thick cover of trees. All three of them could feel a looming sense of danger.
"Somethings not right here..." El whispered. As they took their final steps towards what should have been the reveal of the sword, they were stopped dead in their tracks.
The path had led them to the one place they desperately wanted to avoid. The Creels house.
"Of course the sword was gonna be right under Vecnas nose" scoffed Eddie, "now what?"
"Well we have to go in" El replied nonchalantly.. trying to mask her obvious fear. The three of them stood around and quietly made up a plan. It was decided that Kali and El would make their way up to the attic, masking themselves at all times, whilst Eddie searched for the sword. If Vecna became suspicious to any of them being there, Kali and El would throw everything they had at him to buy Eddie the time he needed. It wasn't the best plan and it certainly wasn't fool proof... but it was all they had.
They kept their invisibility shield up as strong as possible as they made their way up to the house. Just as Eddie slowly pushed the front door open, his head felt like it split in two. He crumpled to the ground cradling his head in his hands as he tried his hardest not to scream.

"Kaaasss... my warriorrr. You have returrneed to mee" came an all to familiar voice, "briiing me the giirrll".
Vecna was in his head. Shit, shit, shit! No, this can't be happening!
"Do noott make mee waiittt too looong, I amm in myy plaace of reessst" Vecnas voice boomed loud and clear in Eddie's head. The pain subsided and Eddie sat up.
"He knows I'm here.. but I don't think he knows exactly where I am" Eddie told the girls as he rubbed his temples, "the invisibility shield must be working".
"He's going to try and control you again whilst you're here Eddie, you must not let that happen" El shot a worried look his way.
"I don't think he can.. I have my memories back. If he could control me then surely you would be dead and upstairs with him by now" Eddie responded, quite confident in what he was saying.
The Power3 continued on their quest. They stepped inside of the Creels house and looked around. They changed their minds on their original plan after Vecna had managed to infiltrate Eddie's mind. It was instead decided that they would search the house together as a team.. that they were much stronger as a three than separated.
The slithering vines all over the house made it quilt difficult to search quickly; they had to be so mindful not to step on any, as everything here was connected directly to Vecna... and then he would know. They all searched the downstairs, looking high and low for the sword. The calling of the sword had not gotten any louder whilst they were down stairs but they checked every inch, crack and corner they could find. They looked under rotting old cushions, inside of decaying draws and even lifted some of the floorboards. Nothing.
Eddie put his foot on the first step that led upstairs, and instantly the noise rang louder.
Great. Just fantastic. The sword was upstairs with Vecna. The mission seemed to become more and more difficult with every step. Eddie signalled a code to the girls with his fingers that told them he was to go first, El second and Kali last. Again, they took every step slowly, being ever so careful to not trip and fall or stand on any vine. When they reached the top of the stairs the ringing of the sword was so loud.. like a constant buzzing in their ears. It was almost painful. It seemed that there wasn't too many rooms on this floor and they managed to check them all quite quickly. The only sound was the fast beating of their hearts, the very real fear of being caught ever constant. When it became apparent that the sword wasn't anywhere to be found, Eddie once again signalled to Kali and El. He pointed upstairs. The sword must be in the attic. With Vecna.

They had no other choice really. They didn't come all this way to back down at the last minute... and so they made their way up into the room where Vecna was recovering. Stepping into the attic, a cold sweat overcame Eddie. He remembered the last time he was here, how he was so easily controlled by this monster. He remembered the love, admiration and fear he felt towards Vecna. It made him feel sick now. The last time he was here he promised to bring back El and everyone else... dead. Looking into the center of the room, the Power3 could see Vecna hovering, his tentacles keeping him afloat. His eyes were closed.. like he was sleeping. Eddie noted that he looked a lot better than the last time he saw him... he seemed fully recovered. Well that's not good.
The ringing of the sword was pretty unbearable right now.. enough to bring a man to his knees. Their eyes darted around the room in search of it.. they daren't move around or start touching things.. just in case. This was far too close to the monster who ruined their lives.
Eddie's eyes darted frantically around the room looking for anything that could resemble a sword. When he glanced over at Vecna again he noticed something on the floor just below where he was hovering. It looked like a hilt... he squinted his eyes and took two steps forward. It was a hilt! As soon as his mind had registered that this was the sword, the ringing sound in their ears abruptly stopped. He glanced over at Kali and El, smiled and gave them a thumbs up.. telling them he had found it. He slowly inched closer and closer towards it. He could feel El and Kali pushing out so much power as to keep him covered. This was it. He couldn't believe he'd found it. He was right below Vecna, his heart racing in anticipation. He bent down and slowly gripped his fingers around the hilt of the sword. As he lifted it to admire it and take in its detail, the hairs on the back of his neck stood to attention.
Glancing up, he found two dark hollow eyes staring down at him. Vecna had awoken.