Wishful Thinking

Your POV

It had been about six hours so far. You were a complete mess. This whole waiting around business was driving you crazy. Is Eddie ok? Is he hurt? Is he coming back? You were your own worst enemy. You wished you could just switch off your brain sometimes, it would be so much easier than the constant panic and worry.
"Y/N, you've been pacing for three hours now, you're gonna start wearing the carpet away" joked Robin, trying to lighten your mood. You stopped pacing and sat down on a chair.. but then your leg started jittering and you were biting your nails.
"I can't just sit around like this! It's killing me! I need to do something, I need a distraction until they're back!" You yell, completely frustrated at yourself.
Robin and Steve both walk over to you and start rubbing your back. It didn't help. In fact it made you feel worse.
"Guys, please.." you plead with them, begging for a distraction.
"Ok ok, ummm... anyone got any ideas on what to do?" Steve asks your friends.
"Ice-cream?" Suggests Dustin.
"I can't eat... sorry" you reply.
"Urrr.. bike ride?" Offered Will. That sounded more like it. Something physical.. surely that would take your mind off Eddie for a while.
You all got ready to leave; backpacks with snacks, water and a few weapons (just in case) and headed outside. Luckily, everyone's bikes were already at Mikes... you all spent the majority of your time here so it made sense to keep them here. You, Robin and Steve only got your bikes this year. You all decided that not only was it a good way to get around, but it was also great exercise.
Dustin, Will and Mike hopped on their bikes first and started cycling. There was no plan in mind... nowhere to go. It was just a get up and go moment before you lost your mind. You, Steve and Robin jumped on your bikes and followed after them. The weather wasn't that great today. It was quite overcast and gloomy... fitting for your mood. As you were cycling through town, you couldn't help but people watch. You watched as shop keepers were selling fruits and vegetables outside, you watched as young children played on the grass completely carefree. You watched a teenage couple walking hand in hand talking excitedly about something. You felt so envious. These people... in the town of Hawkins.. have absolutely no idea what's going on. They were completely oblivious. You can't remember what it was like to have a normal life. Only two years ago you were living a some what normal teenage life. You had school, friends, family... and you did all the normal stuff that teenagers would do... it all but seemed a distant dream now.
As you carried on following your friends you let your mind wander. The 'what ifs' crept back in, but this time you didn't mind. They were the good kind. What if Eddie does return? What would become of the two of you? What if he really does propose? What if you get married? What if you have children? It was these thoughts that kept you going and brought a smile to your face. Why couldn't your brain think like this more often? Oh yeah... if you don't put your hopes up then you won't be disappointed. A sudden jolt brought you crashing back down to earth... literally. You obviously weren't paying attention to where you were going as you crashed right into a tree. You flew over the handlebars and landed straight on your face.
"Y/N!! Shit! Are you ok?" Yelled Robin as she jumped off her bike and rushed over.
"Bloody hell.. my nose!" You whimper. It felt broken. You lifted your hand to your face as the pain exploded through your head. Your face was wet. As you pulled your hand away you noticed the blood... there was a lot of it.
"Tilt your head back and pinch your nose!" Commanded Steve as he started taking his shirt off.
"We need to get you to the hospital to make sure it's not broken" said Mike. Great. You did just as Steve said; you tilted your head and pinched your nose. He handed you his shirt and motioned towards your head.
"You got a nasty gash above your eye there Y/N" he stated as he pointed at your head.
"Yes well done Steve, let the concussed one take care of her own wounds!" Robin sarcastically replied as she snatched Steve's top from your hands and applied the pressure to your head. You didn't say anything. You just nodded and agreed to whatever your friends were saying because you felt very dizzy. Were you losing too much blood? Was that the problem? Steve and Robin took your arms and lifted you to your feet. They held on as you wasn't steady enough to stand alone.
Coincidentally, just as you started walking across the road to get help, Hopper's Chevrolet came skidding to a halt just in front of you.
"What happened here?" He bellowed, beckoning you with his finger, "I had a disturbance call".
"Just on a bike ride Sir, Y/N crashed into a tree and has really hurt herself. Think her nose is broken" Mike replied to Hopper. He got on really well with Hopper.. had a lot of respect for him.
"Let's take a look Y/N" Hopper said as he gently took your face in his hands to inspect your injuries.
"Yeah.. that looks broken alright.. and that head wound needs looking at and dressing" he confirmed. Fantastic. Well you wanted a distraction didn't you? You ask.. and you shall receive.
Hopper motioned for you and Robin to jump into his car so he could drive you to the hospital. He put in a call over his radio for another police officer to inform your parents of what happened. When you arrived at the hospital you were taken to a ward to have your injuries assessed. Thankfully, your nose wasn't actually broken, it was just dislodged. Having it put back in place was gonna hurt a lot!
You heard a familiar voice talking to Robin... who was that? The curtain to your spot on the ward opened and in walked Lucas.
"Hey Y/N, long time no see" he smiled at you warmly. Oh Lucas... he looked so slim. He'd lost a lot of weight being in this hospital every day.
"How you holding up Lucas?" You ask him.
"Yeah.. so so. You're the one all busted up! I heard Eddie's back.. how is he?" He replied.
You and Robin sat for the next hour updating Lucas on what had happened and what was going on. He didn't seem shocked or surprised. He offered to help you out, but you told him it was just a waiting game. There'd been no change or progress with Max... however Lucas told you that the doctors had started speaking to her Mum about the possibility of taking her off life support. She was officially classed as brain dead, and nothing so far had worked to bring her back round.
No official decisions had been made yet, and that gave you hope. If you manage to defeat Vecna... there's a chance that Max could come back. You hoped and prayed the guys would make it back soon.
After you were all stitched and bandaged up, you and Robin said your goodbyes to Lucas, promised to keep him updated and made your way downstairs to leave the hospital.
Parked outside, Hopper was waiting in his Chevrolet to give you a lift to Mikes. He waved you over and you and Robin rushed over and jumped in.
"All good Y/N? You need to take it easy" Hopper said, his fatherly ways showing through. You nodded in response.
"I don't suppose you know where El is? I haven't seen her at all today.. and I noticed she wasn't with you all earlier..." he asked.
Ah... shit. Robin made up a quick excuse on the spot.
"She said she was helping with the soup kitchen today! It was only for a few hours so she'll be back with us at Mikes in a bit". Hopper accepted what she said. Phew.
He started up the engine, and his tires squealed as he pulled away from the hospital. With any luck, Eddie, El and Kali would already be at Mikes waiting for you. Such wishful thinking.