prologue

"I don't fucking want your help," Billy spat, a cigarette tucked between the plush of his pink lips

"I don't fucking want your help," Billy spat, a cigarette tucked between the plush of his pink lips. His right eye was swollen and beginning to turn a nasty shade of purple—but even with the blood trailing down his nose Zara thought he was hotter than Lucifer himself.

"Too fucking bad, you temperamental asshole." The hydrogen peroxide soaked cotton pad dabbed away at his sun-kissed skin, brows furrowing into a wince as it foamed, killing out all the bacteria. "What happened to you anyway?"

Billy sighed deeply, his shoulders still stiff in defense as the pretty girl before him took care of his wounds. Any other day and he would've already been three pickup lines deep and in her pants but not tonight.

Not when his dad was shitfaced, his beady blue eyes burning with disdain at the teenage boy that looked all too much like past mistakes and heartache. "Nothing I can't handle, pretty girl."

"Didn't say you couldn't handle it," Zara Sinclair murmured, her tongue poking through the lining of her perfectly plump lips and Billy couldn't help but examine her sharp yet feminine features. "Just wondering what you did to deserve it?"

"I fell in love with you."

"Yeah, right."

Her heartbeat picked up and if she hadn't already been finished cleaning him up, he probably would've felt the way her fingertips grew clammy. "It's true, Sinclair. I took this beating for you and I'll do it a thousand times again until I get us out of this one pony town."

"You plan on taking me with you?"

"You're my whole plan—if you aren't there then I'm not either."

The worlds felt true enough but had Zara known what would happen later, she would've made Billy pinky promise.