eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: Code Red

"I just don't get why you're buying her flowers." Zara griped condescendingly, judgement evident on her features as she watched her best friend shovel forkfuls of pancakes into his mouth. His jaw was moving a mile a minute as he worked over a strip of bacon, brown eyes rolling on their own accord as his fingers swiped at her glass to steal a swig of her orange juice.

In his defense, Harrington had always been a hopeless romantic; his feelings constantly outweighing his better judgement as it yearned to be reciprocated by that special someone. He'd jumped head-first into society with confidence, thriving off his good looks and effortless charm. The moment he'd hit puberty, Harrington had a pretty girl on his arm whether it be for a casual summer romance or just to practice his skills for proper bragging rights.

Maybe that's why Zara wasn't really surprised when he'd risen alongside the sun that had shown through the thin excuse for curtains that covered Zara's windows—his groggy eyes blinking him out of his dreamland and shoved him back into reality. He'd lounged around for a half-hour, relishing in the comfort of Zara's bed and her thick pillows before growing bored and moving onto tickling Zara's nose and cheeks with her own hair until she'd finally awoken too.

Her parents had already left for work an hour ago, leaving Zara in charge of her siblings. Somewhere in between sleeping and eating breakfast—Harrington had decided that he had concocted the perfect plan to get Nancy back. "It's a romantic gesture—I'm a romantic guy. I want her to remember how romantic of a guy I was—am."

Zara raised a suspicious brow as she stepped away from the dining table, her bare feet padding against the kitchen tile as she ditched her empty plate into the sink with full intentions to clean later—she'd probably forget though."I thought we were getting over Nancy?"

"We were but it's not working," He stressed, his hands running through messy chestnut strands. "—so I'm moving onto Plan B." Steve shot his best friend a look, effectively silencing the snippy comment that itched to shoot off her tongue like a bullet. He hadn't equipped himself in the bulletproof vest that was necessary when discussing Nancy with Zara. The moment Steve had told her the reasoning behind their breakup, reciting Nancy's brutal speech of how she didn't have feelings for him anymore, blaming him for her friend Barb's death then rushing to Johnathan for comfort, Zara had made Nancy public enemy number one. Steve didn't care though, the events of the past seemingly erased as he decided that he wasn't going to wallow in self-pity anymore, he wasn't going to mope or gripe or envy because Nancy Wheeler was the one and no one—not even a perv like Johnathan Byers was going to stop him from having her. "I'm getting her back."

"So—flowers."

Steve nodded, an appreciative smile settling onto his boyish features and Zara decided that for the moment she wouldn't give him the whole spiel on how she really felt about Nancy—she would just sit back and be the supportive friend who watched from afar."Yes, flowers. I'm thinking roses, maybe some daisies; those are pretty right?"