sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: Cherry Bomb

Connie's Diner was busy, every cherry red booth in sight was filled with its own family, couple, and group of friends that had all gathered there for refuge against the debilitating warmth from outside.

It was a miracle Billy and Zara had even snagged a seat, all props going to the alluring California charm that latched itself to the golden-haired boy beside her. It took little effort, swaying the twenty-something year old waitress with a sneaky wink and his voice as sweet as saccharine.

Bo, was her name judging by the cheerful handwriting on the name tag that was firmly stamped near the neckline of her low-cut top. "For two," Zara chided promptly, effectively cutting off their silent flirting with a huff.

"Right this way," Bo grabbed two menus and some rolled silverware—her hips swinging from side to side with intention as she led them to their designated table, promising that another waitress would be over right away but that a handsome gentleman like Billy could give her a holler anytime.

Billy ate it up, his ego enjoying the beady eyes boring into the side of his face each passing second that he'd allowed the waitress to hit on him. It was a little mean—borderline cruel considering he'd left Zara a panting, pathetic, quivering little mess in the passenger seat of his car. He'd tossed her a few napkins from his glove compartment, urging her to clean up her mess before someone saw how much of a fucking slut she was.

"Why don't you just go screw her instead of staring like an idiot," Zara snapped, aggressively picking up the menu and reading over the words—she didn't even need it. She had known what she wanted since the moment Billy had mentioned Connie's is where they'd be.

Strawberry milkshake, extra whipped cream and a side cup of maraschino cherries.

"You want me to?"

The look she sent him could've killed and Billy decided he enjoyed her when she was mad—the sassy bite to her tone doing little to deter him; if anything it turned him on more. "Obviously not, fuckface." Zara shoved her menu away, brown eyes scanning the room begging for a distraction from the cocky son of a bitch before her. "Doesn't matter anyway, she'd leave unsatisfied because you're just a goddamn tease."

"Ah, and we're back to that." He's clearly amused, his blue eyes twinkling with mischief as he fights the smile from forming on his face. He's too calm, too casual in the way he shrugged off his jacket, tossing his sunglasses on the table before them and pack of cigs from his pocket—clearly the return of his lighter had further fueled his bad habit. "Not sure why you keep complaining about it. You were the one who said you could handle it yourself."