nineteen

Chapter Nineteen:Winchester Wannabes

The fall chill bit mercilessly against Zara Sinclair's cheeks, the half-open window doing little stave off the steadily dropping temperature, but she didn't care—not when the wind nipped at her nose or burned icily on her exposed earlobes. "You're driving really fast," Genuine fear crackled through in Dustin's voice, his big brown eyes as wide as saucers as he gripped at his seatbelt like a lifeline. His other hand curled protectively over his walkie-talkie; the channel he'd turned it to still crackling with life as he waited anxiously for one of his friends to patch through and finally answer him.

He'd really tried to stay quiet, not commenting on the way Zara's knuckles went a shade or two lighter as they clenched unreasonably tight against her steering wheel—he didn't even comment when she'd passed two stop signs and narrowly made it through a red light without harboring the attention of Hawkins police.

Dustin made a mental note not to ask Zara for driving lessons when that time finally came.

"Sorry," Zara mumbled under her breath, one hand snatching at a pair of black sunglasses, it's thick rim hiding the prominent furrow of her brow. She'd slowed down a little, enough for Dustin to be satisfied at least; a deep sigh released from his chest.

"If it makes you feel any better, Lucas really did swear us to secrecy."

"It doesn't," Her lips pursed, a gentle frown tugging at the corners of her mouth. "—but I'm not mad at you, Dustbin."

Henderson's shoulders seemed to relax at the familiar nickname, chestnut curls fluttering softly where they hung out from the confines of his hat and for the first time since he'd gotten in the car the thirteen year old settled comfortably into his seat. "You're mad at Steve?"

"He's my best friend," Zara's nose crinkled in distaste, partially from the minor betrayal but mainly because they'd just passed old Carl Murphy's farm, his cows grazing at the lush green fields before laying waste to some rancid smelling shits. "—I just don't understand how he could keep this from me. Especially with my brother—that crosses like, so many lines in the friend-code." Zara scolded, her words rushing out a mile a minute as she continued along the dirt road. It didn't even seem like she was talking to the younger boy anymore as she ranted in frustration, meaningless words spilling onto one another like a sloppy bowl of alphabet soup.

"Are you reacting like this because you and Steve sometimes have sex?" Dustin wasn't even looking at her, curious blue eyes were trained outside, watching as the trees faded by and cars sped past. One chubby finger stuffed itself past the lining of his lips, a nail slotting at his teeth as he tried to expel whatever debris he'd sensed. "Does that cross some kind of "friend-code"."