twenty-nine

Chapter 29: Blissfully Unaware

Zara's hair was a bit messy when she returned, but silently cursing to herself for forgetting to grab a spare hair tie. Steve and Robin had moved to the other side of the room, a fresh drink in both their hands and a joint half-smoked and tucked between Harrington's lips. He pretended not to notice the flush of her cheeks, the way her shirt was wrinkled and the musky smell of sex lingered on her skin when she sauntered forward and pulled the joint from his mouth and put it towards her own. "Have a good time?" Steve smirks knowingly, visually clocking Billy a few steps behind, a cocky grin on his face and curly hair tucked behind his ears to show off the silver dagger that dangled from his left lobe.

Hargrove was shirtless, jean jacket left sloppily in the backseat of his car—there were faint red lines running down his back, a light sheen of sweat glistening against his bare torso, jeans hanging dangerously low on the hips.

"Oh, grow up Harrington." Zara smoothed down the front of her shirt, joint held casually between two fingers, a sharp inhale through her words, allowing the weed to sink in.

"Just saying," He relents, a teasing lilt in his tone. Chestnut strands of styled hair curled over his forehead, something that would've been confused for almost boyish if it weren't paired with the two day stubble lacing his jaw. "—those marks on his back. Guess the whole tame thing was just an act."

"You're awfully bold tonight."

"This punch is really strong," Steve holds the cup out for emphasis, grip a little shaky but he recovers with a charming grin. "Loosens up the tongue."

"You don't say." A laugh bubbles from her belly when she catches eyes with Robin a few feet over, her hair a mess and cheeks bright red with glee, shouting cheerfully about making the winning shot, two middle fingers snapped towards her opponent's. "She's—"

"—insane?"

She nudged her arms into his, casually confiscating his cup before correcting him. "I was going to say incredible. Couldn't have asked for a better stand in."

Steve turned a little to face her fully, arms crossed loosely over his chest. "I wouldn't say that—Robin's great, she's awesome but you? We've been best friends since forever, no way anybody could ever replace you." His words are a bit slurred and Sinclair is sure that the liquor is doing more than making him bold; Harrington got either horny or sentimental when he was drunk. Tonight was sentimental. "Even if that asshole has you occupied."

"He's really not so bad—you guys would probably get along if you both weren't so high on your egos."

He shook his head, reaching for a cup that Zara had decided he was no longer allowed to drink from. A frown formed briefly but Steve didn't fight it. "I seriously doubt that."