eleven

Chapter Eleven: Chainsmoke

Zara and Billy didn't go far, only driving a few minutes away to a fairly open field where the ground was still slick with morning mist. First thing he does when they stop is reach over, sliding the hand on her thigh off and used it to open his glove compartment—he pulled out a little plastic ziplock bag filled halfway with green nugs. "Don't think you're going to get me to roll that for you, Hargrove."

"As if I'd want your shitty little spliff."

The laugh that bubbled up and erupts from her mouth was involuntary, joy effortlessly shining so bright it seemed never ending in the chocolate abyss of her eyes. "Did you bring something to roll it with?"

His face dropped immediately, his hands tapping uselessly at his pants front pockets, then back, then his jacket pockets—no dice. "Fuck."

"You're lucky I decided to tag along," Zara teased, one hand disappearing into the front pocket of her backpack and moments later a mini cardboard box is revealed and when she opens the little latch, endless slips of spliff paper is right there at their disposal. Always a fan of the dramatics, she'd popped her metaphorical collar, slicking back the sides of her hair before posing obnoxiously in her seat. She'd wanted praise, a hand cupping over one pierced ear as she waited for him to mutter the magic words. "I'm waiting."

"What would I do without you, pretty girl?"

Zara nodded in agreement, rambling cockily about her self-proclaimed list of reasons for why he would barely survive without her; he zoned out the second she brought up his conveniently missing box of cigs. His shoulders relaxed, Billy's hands quick to swipe the pack she hands over and since he forgot his own arsenal of rolling papers he doesn't complain that hers have little cherries printed all over it. "Roll a few while you're at it."

"A few? We have to round back soon so I can pick up that little shitbird, Max."

Her face scrunched up in distaste, her light deflating slightly at his suddenly cold words. "Little shitbird? That's endearing."

"I only met her a year or so ago," Billy admitted, his eyes faced down as he swiped one of Zara's schoolbooks and began rolling on it. His fingers worked quickly, thumb and pointer finger working as a natural grinder as he pulverized the nugs into small little pieces until the paper was filled just tight enough to leave some airflow. "She's not even really my sister."

"Are your parents married?"

He paused his rolling for just a second, his back stiffening as tight as a board before answering. "Yes."