Chapter Three: Body Double

After school Audrey sits in the kitchen heating up Austin's bottle as she tries to stop him from crying "Shhh, it's alright baby

After school Audrey sits in the kitchen heating up Austin's bottle as she tries to stop him from crying "Shhh, it's alright baby. Mummy is making your bottle right now." she tries to soothe him. Austin carries on crying as she bounces him up and down, the timer pings making Audrey grab the bottle and test the temperature on her wrist. Gently putting it in Austin's mouth Audrey sighs as he stops crying and start drinking the milk, Fred walks in and kisses her head "You alright Audrey?" he asks. "Yeah, just tired." Audrey assures him. Fred nods and looks up as Archie walks in "Hey. I texted. Where were you?" Fred asks him. "Football practice. Then I was writing." Archie responds. "Songs? Your music? I thought you and Jughead were on a road trip on the 4th. Then I talked with Sheriff Keller. So, guess that was a lie." Fred tells him making Audrey frown in confusion. "Dad, we were gonna go, but..." Archie trails off. "You should have come to me, Archie. We could've gone to the Sheriff together." Fred tells him. "I didn't want to drag you into it, Dad." Archie explains. "That was an error in judgment." Fred says. .Sorry, Dad. Sorry I'm not perfect." Archie retorts. "You know, you're pretty far from perfect lately, Archie. That's why you're grounded." Fred tells him. "What? Are you serious?" Archie asks. "So, in this house, every night for two weeks, 7:00. You want some alone time with your music? You got it." Fred tells him. "I'm not 10 years old, Dad! You can't just..." Archie starts. "You wanna go for three?" Fred asks, cutting him off. Audrey frowns as Fred walks off "What's happened Arch?" she asks. "I...I screwed up. I was at Sweetwater on July 4th. I heard the gunshot, the one Cheryl heard." Archie explains. "Arch." Audrey groans. "I know, please don't start." Archie tells her. "I'm not going to. I'm just annoyed you didn't tell me, I thought we told each other everything." Audrey tells him. "I'm sorry Auds, I just didn't want to worry you with it." Archie tells her. Audrey nods and kisses his cheek "I'm going to go change Austin." she says, walking upstairs.

Five o'clock next morning Audrey throws her hair into a messy bun before picking up a crying Austin "What's wrong little man?" she asks, feeling his forehead

Five o'clock next morning Audrey throws her hair into a messy bun before picking up a crying Austin "What's wrong little man?" she asks, feeling his forehead. Archie walks in, throwing on a T-shirt "What's wrong?" he asks. "I don't know, he's not hungry, I've changed him, I've tried holding him, I...I don't know." Audrey responds, getting ready eyed. "Don't cry Auds, I'll go get dad." Archie tells her, walking out her room. Audrey walks round her room bouncing Austin up and down, Fred walks in and feels Austin's head "He's got a bit of a temperature, I'll go find some medicine for him. Don't worry Audrey, it's probably nothing." he tells her. Archie walks in as his dad walks out "Here, let me take him for a minute Audrey." he tells her. Audrey nods and carefully hands Austin over to Archie who gently bounces him, trying to soothe him with a song as Audrey runs a hand over her face "Here we go." Fred says, bringing in a bottle of medicine. Audrey takes it from him and reads the instructions before getting the right amount in a syringe, Archie passes Austin back over and she gently squeezes the medicine into Austin's mouth. Archie sits next to her as Audrey sits on her bed "Shh, I know baby. I know it's not nice." Audrey soothes Austin.