Chapter Nine: La Grande Illusion

Audrey smiles as she pulls on Jughead's flannel, Jughead wrapping his arms round her from behind "Comfy?" he asks

Audrey smiles as she pulls on Jughead's flannel, Jughead wrapping his arms round her from behind "Comfy?" he asks. "Very." she smiles, turning and gently kissing him. Austin babbles slightly from where he's lying on his play mat "Oh, is someone getting jealous?" Audrey smiles. Jughead goes over and picks him up "Don't worry, Mummy and Daddy have enough kisses for you too." he tells him, kissing his cheek. Audrey smiles and kisses Austin's other cheek "Auds, Jug, we're going to be late if we don't leave now." Archie calls from downstairs. Audrey grabs hers and Jughead's bags as they head down, Jughead carrying Austin "Uncle Fred?" Audrey calls. "Yeah, coming." Fred smiles, walking in from the kitchen. "He was fed an hour ago so he should be good for a little." Audrey tells him as Jughead passes Austin over and takes his bag. Fred nods "We are going to have a great day, Little Man." he tells Austin, the baby looking at him with inquisitive eyes. Audrey smiles and kisses Austin's head "Be good for Uncle Fred." she tells him before leaving with Archie and Jughead.

At break, Audrey and Jughead walk into the Common Room "Just in time, we're celebrating." Veronica smiles, eating a raspberry. "Archie was just telling us how he's going to some super-exclusive music program this summer." Kevin explains. "Maybe. If it happens, though, it would be huge for me." Archie smiles. "Do you have to audition for it?" Audrey asks. "Well, not exactly. Mrs. Blossom came by earlier and said she'd put a good word in for me." Archie responds. "Amazing." Kevin says. "Terrifying." Veronica remarks at the same time, she and Kevin looking at each other. "Uh-huh. What's she getting out of it?" Jughead asks. "I told her I'd take Cheryl to their family's tree-tapping thing. I already talked to Valerie, and she's cool with it." Archie explains. "Cool with you being a gigolo now?" Jughead asks him, Audrey shaking her head with a small smile. "I'm doing someone a favor for my music, Jughead. I need to make connections outside of Riverdale." Archie retorts. "That's the way of the world. It's all about connections. But Jughead's right. These kinds of favors always come with a price tag. Auds, Betty, back me up here." Veronica says.

"I'm with them." Audrey tells her cousin, motioning to Jughead and Veronica. "I think it's a great idea." Betty tells Archie, Audrey rolling her eyes. "Thank you, Betty." Archie tells her. "Yeah, and while you're there, would you talk to Polly for me? I just want to make sure she's okay." Betty asks. "Definitely." Archie nods. "Thank you." Betty smiles. "And don't worry, Ronnie, I can take care of myself." Archie tells Veronica. "Famous last words, Archiekins." Veronica responds. "Hey, Vee, you still up for later?" Audrey asks. "Of course." Veronica smiles. "What's happening later?" Betty asks. "I asked Veronica for some help with homework, she agreed as long as I help her with science." Audrey tells her. "Mhm, I need help with the project we got set last week." Veronica nods. "Well, I can help." Betty shrugs. "It's alright, Auds already offered as she needs help with her trig." the ravenette tells her with a smile. Betty nods, not looking happy as Audrey smiles thankfully at Veronica.

After school, Audrey and Veronica sit in Audrey's room with Austin "I can't believe how big he's getting!" Veronica exclaims, holding Austin up against her as he sits up with her support. "He's three months old now, I can't get over it either." Audrey smiles, Austin holding Veronica's finger. Jughead smiles as he walks in "Hey Veronica." he greets, kissing Audrey in greeting. "Hey Jughead." Veronica greets. Austin babbles slightly "Hello to you too Aus." Jughead smiles, sitting next to Audrey. "I just remembered, I got Aussie something." Veronica smiles, passing Austin over to Jughead. "You didn't have to Vee." Audrey tells her. "I wanted to, he's too cute not to." Veronica retorts, pulling out a pair of sock rattles. "Aww, they're adorable Vee." Audrey smiles. "Anything for this little cutie." Veronica smiles, tickling Austin's tummy and getting a giggle in response.