Chaper Eight: The Outsiders

Audrey smiles as she watches Archie and Jughead play on Archie's console  "Gotta stop blowing me up

Audrey smiles as she watches Archie and Jughead play on Archie's console "Gotta stop blowing me up." Jughead tells Archie. "You're going the wrong way. You're going the... What are you doing?" Archie asks. "Come on. You're the one who keeps accidentally killing me." Jughead tells him. "War is hell, Jug." Archie responds. "No, Archie, hell is other people." Jughead counters, smiling as Audrey leans into his side and Archie laughs. There's a knock on the door, followed by Fred opening it "Hey, guys, getting pretty late... And... Whoa! It's kinda ripe in here. Does someone wanna open a window?" he asks. "It's why I've put coconut lip balm under my nose." Audrey smiles. "I got it." Archie says, opening the window. "You settling in, Jug?" Fred asks. "Oh, completely. It's like Archie and I are just roommates in a college dorm, Audrey being my gorgeous girlfriend who spends most her time here instead of her own dorm." Jughead smiles. "Oh, great. What does that make me, the RA?" Fred chuckles. "No, you're the fourth roommate." Archie tells his dad. "Fourth?" Fred asks. "Austin is the third." Archie smiles, motioning to Austin who is asleep on Jughead's bed surrounded by pillows. "All right, guys. I got a big day tomorrow." Fred tells them. "Yeah, breaking ground on the SoDale project, right?" Jughead asks. "Yeah. Indeed, we are. Sorry, 'cause I know it's kind of a sore spot with you, Jughead, about the drive-in." Fred says. "As long as you build something beautiful in its place." Jughead tells him. "Well, I don't know about beautiful, but it's gonna be big. Night, guys." Fred says. "Night, Dad." Archie responds. "I better get Aussie to bed. Night Archie, night Juggie." Audrey smiles kissing Jughead softly, giving Archie a kiss on the cheek. "Night Auds." they respond as she picks up Austin and goes to her own room.

The next day, Audrey sits on Jughead's lap as they all discuss Polly "Polly's convinced herself that no one wants her baby

The next day, Audrey sits on Jughead's lap as they all discuss Polly "Polly's convinced herself that no one wants her baby." Betty tells them. "Besides, of course, the child-snatching Blossom monsters. No offense, Cheryl." Kevin says. "None taken." Cheryl responds. "So your mom and dad want Polly but not the baby, and the Blossoms want the baby and not Polly. That's a true Gordian knot." Jughead says. "It's an impossible situation." Betty tells them. "Betty, come on. An impossible situation is being invited to both the Vanity Flair Oscar party and Elton John's Oscar party on the same night. Which happened to me one year, I know. This is merely an annoying situation. But luckily, I've been percolating on an idea, hellishly simple in its conception. What if my mom and I were to host a baby shower?" Veronica suggests. "Count me in." Cheryl smiles. "You want Polly to feel loved and supported, right?" Veronica tells Betty. "Yeah, but ideally by her own parents." Betty points out. "Okay, so, baby steps, girl. Get Polly and your parents in the same room in a public setting where they can't fight, and, voila, let the healing begin." Veronica smiles. "Am I expected to come to this thing?" Jughead asks. "Of course! You're Audrey's boyfriend, so... Oh, my God, you guys, relax. It's just a word that starts with the letter 'B'." Veronica tells them.