24. Cunning fox

"Why?" Lan zhan's tone was abnormally calm for the situation, but his eyes carried all the emotions. 

Just twenty minutes after the party started, Wei ying escaped his husband's eyes and went towards the bar set up which was beneath a tree. As he mixed up all the colorful liquors and prepared his own style of cocktail not wanting to miss this golden opportunity, he saw his shijie leaning over someone and sobbing in a corner. The sobbing was due to the alcohol effect, but it was visible that she was sad. 

Meanwhile he heard his husband calling out his name from a little distance. In Fear of getting caught, he hid behind a tree, which happened to be closer to where Yanli was. 

He shouldn't have gone there, shouldn't have heard what they were talking about, at least not today. 

"I know it's painful to see someone you love getting married, but everything will pass." 

It was Madam Jiang's voice. Wei ying understood that Yanli had come to like Lan zhan. Even though it was for a few months, she had seen Lan zhan as her life partner. From their further conversation, it was evident that she had come to realise her own feelings when the marriage arrangements were started. 

He got up from the hiding spot and walked back to his Lan zhan on his own. He needed comfort. 

He hugged his husband from behind without showing his face. 

"Shijie likes you. Saw her crying." 

Before Lan zhan could reply, Wei ying broke the hug immediately as if they were not supposed to hug each other. 

Lan zhan turned to the side, and looked at the direction of Wei ying's sight. As he saw Yanli and Madam Jiang coming, he understood the reason behind Wei ying's rejection. 

"We love each other and we are married." Lan zhan tried to console the other, rationally. 

But starting that time, even after an hour, Wei ying didn't seem okay. He didn't initiate the hugs nor did he try to hold Lan zhan's hand. It was clearly visible to Lan zhan that Wei ying was trying to draw a line in Yanli's presence. 

That was when Lan zhan confronted his husband. 

"Why?" 

'Why am I not visible to you?'

'Why are you not feeling my pain?' 

'Why am I put behind everyone?' 

'Does my love mean nothing?' 

Though all these questions were not said aloud, Wei ying understood. 

Xichen noticed something was amiss between the newlyweds and approached them on the stage. 

Wei ying hated himself for being cruel to his Lan zhan. Wei ying excused himself stating he will talk to his shijie once, and will be back soon. That was the only way his heart could free the weight pulling him down. 

Lan zhan too thought that it would make Wei ying feel better and let him be. 

Wei ying was not aware that Yanli had already left the venue. When he enquired, he was told by someone that they saw Yanli going back a while ago. To have a word with her before she leaves, Wei ying took his speed and followed the way. 

Lan zhan's eyes did not leave from his soulmate even from afar. He saw Wei ying going back towards home, and followed him in sync. 

He felt a bad omen while crossing the forest area, but nothing like he expected happened. However, the main door to the villa was closed, and the security guard informed that the last person he saw was young lady of the Jiang household. 

Lan zhan's brain brewed an internal storm that made him run back to the forest area where he lost track of his Wei ying. He speed dialled Wei ying's number, only to listen to the automated Switched off notification. He called Yanli who told him that she didn't meet Wei ying at all.Though Hui shen was put inside jail, Lan zhan felt scared to not be able to find his Wei ying. There were neon lights to pave the way to the garden, but that did not remove the darkness of the woods. 

Lan zhan turned on mobile phone's torchlight and ran towards the second gate, which was used as a means for emergency purposes. Usually the gate would be closed all the days, unless on a special occasion like today, where it can be used by maids and outside parties. 

This second gate had easy access to the forest and garden area. However, to not treat the guests disrespectfully, the Lans invited the guests through the front gate. 

When Lan zhan neared the said gate, the gate was still left open a bit denoting the last party to go out had left in a hurry. Which also meant, when Lan zhan crossed the forest area first, they were still inside. There were no cars outside the house, and no trace left behind. 

Lan zhan called his brother who came running to him. Lan zhan didn't speak but pulled the car key from his brother's trousers and started off to the car. Xichen tried stopping, for which Lan zhan stuttered Wei ying's name. Xichen didn't question him further as he saw the couple go one by one towards the house. 

In a couple of minutes he had lost his Wei ying to an unknown enemy, once again. 

"How did you come out shit?" Wei ying yelled at the psychopath binding him. 

"Don't waste your energy on me, pretty boy. It's not me this time. I am following my Uncle's orders. He will be here soon. Don't worry, I have got myself a new company." 

This time, it took less than ten minutes to reach the place. It was large and looked like an old office building. To Wei ying's utter belief, Lan yi was present inside, similar to his state. 

As soon as Hui shen entered, he went towards Lan yi like a moth attracted to fire. Lan yi, who was least bothered, smiled wickedly. 

"Babe, don't be afraid. I will take care of you."  

Lan yi smirked at Hui shen's words.

Gun firing was heard, and the door blasted open, shocking everyone. 

The flickered light aka Lan yi's mother, stood like an iron lady followed by few men completely covered in black, each carrying a gun. 

"Target plus five captured for  dispatch next month." Lan yi reported.