35. Play

Before Wei ying could digest the things completely that Cong had told him, Cong's lawyer gave a call in the evening, asking whether the next day was feasible for him to meet, to discuss the transfer of shares with the directors and board members. 

Everyone in the family had a bad feeling about this. 

However, in an urge to finish all these hectic things soon, Wei ying agreed. 

Wei ying received the venue and time details through a text message, which showed the address of Sanren Corporation. 

Since he had to attend classes, the meeting time was set an hour after his class hours. This time he could bring only Lan zhan with him. 

In the evening, Lan zhan and Wei ying joined the members of the conference and Cong joined via video from the hospital bed. Xichen waited outside the building as a means of protection. 

Cong started his speech with how his health has been improving, and then why his nephew was there with them today. Wei ying and Lan zhan could see how everyone had a confused and shocked look as they spoke to whoever was next to them. 

Cong coughed once and a member simultaneously raised his arm, seeking permission to speak. 

He asked whether anyone from the board remembered the late Cangse Sanren stating he cannot agree to the motion to replace the founding partner or the transfer, unless he could see any solid evidence. 

"Gentlemen, may I ask you whether you know this young man personally?" 

"No" "no" A few of them replied. 

"Do you think this could be lady Cangse's son?" He shot his next question. 

Lan zhan grabbed Wei ying's palm and gave a slight press, as he had a feeling that they were gonna hear something that they cannot bear to hear. Wei ying gave a meaningful glance in return which showed he was ready. 

"Yes" Cong's assistant who was standing at the side, distributed Cangse's family picture before her marriage. 

Everyone's head bobbed up and down when they noticed the clear resemblance. 

"May I ask whether you got it confirmed with your DNA sample?" 

It was a question towards Wei ying. 

"It's not a match" Wei ying answered with a neutral expression. 

"So to conclude, you are telling me that you are not the son of Lady Cangse and Mr.Changze, but you resemble Lady Cangse a lot. Could it be that…your father is not Changze?" 

"Nonsense!!!" Cong shouted from the other side, before Lan zhan could charge at the man. 

"I apologize Sir. But late Mr.Sanren's will clearly stated that the powers should be transferred to the son of Lady Cangse and her legal husband Changze. So I think I cannot support this." 

On hearing this, the men who had a supportive attitude towards Wei ying initially, now acted indifferent. 

Lan zhan took Wei ying by the hand and pulled him outside the meeting room, and did not let him look back until he brought him inside the car. 

While Lan zhan was fuming with anger, narrating the incident to the driving Xichen, Wei ying was so calm. 

It looked exactly like they had their souls swapped. 

Lan zhan resumed his talking, when he made a quick glance at Wei ying. 

"What did you find?" Lan zhan asked, reading the face. 

"Cong sleazebag is expecting something else from me." 

"En?" 

"I don't know what it is though." 

Wei ying played the recording from the previous day. 

"Tell me what you are able to get from this?" 

"He is a bastard who is not willing to talk about the murder." 

Wei ying giggled at Lan zhan's usage of offensive words. 

"And?" 

"He is playing good cop." Xichen added. 

"Correct. And today, if it was about the shares, he wouldn't have played a good cop again, as he already had leverage over the situation." 

"Wei ying, could it be…" Lan zhan sealed his own mouth before he could say anything in front of his brother.

"Let's discuss at home." Lan zhan put an end to the conversation. 

Wei ying raised his eyebrows looking at Lan zhan, asking him to tell him what he had discovered. 

Lan zhan shook his head slowly and tilted his head in his brother's direction, showing he cannot, in Xichen's presence. 

Wei ying thought for a while and nudged Lan zhan's arms with his phone, signalling him to text. 

Lan zhan refused again by shaking his head. 

Wei ying nudged his arm again. 

Lan zhan acted as if he didn't feel it at all. 

"Lan zh…." 

"Do you guys think I'm blind?" Xichen intervened. 

"..."   "..."

"You can text as Wuxian suggested, Wangji." 

Though it felt awkward, Lan zhan complied. 

"Remember he spoke about dark weapon gobbling rubbish last time? Could it be that he has something to do with Yin metal?" 

"Makes sense." 

"But how to confirm?"

"Let's ask the sleazebag himself." 

Lan zhan asked Xichen to pull the brake and gave a call to Cong's assistant. He told the man that Wei ying is upset from what happened in the meeting and it would be nice if he could talk to his uncle Cong in person. 

In a few minutes after the call ended, Wei ying received a text notification stating he could visit Cong anytime. 

At hospital 

"I am sorry my child, It was my fault that I couldn't show my support when the ill minded members spoke badly about your birth." 

Cong's eyes had tears as he spoke. 

"You shouldn't be sorry. I don't know how to rectify this series of bad luck I carry. " 

Wei ying spoke in a similar tone to Cong, sympathizing with him.  

"I am not superstitious, but I believe it must be something related to the dark weapon that the fortune teller told about." Cong said, wiping his tears. 

"If you say so, it must be true. But since I am already born, I am not sure how to change it" 

"Let me think………ahhh, yes. It is simple. You must say that you do not need the dark weapon, three times." Cong looked at Wei ying expectantly, after he finished. 

Though Wei ying didn't learn the rules of Yin metal during his life as mortal, when he ascended to the immortal realm, there was a sage who shared the knowledge about yin metal, to not let the weapon fall into the wrong hands. 

"And what if I don't, you scheming bastard!" 

Wei ying got up from the chair and laughed mockingly at Cong's still baffled face. 

"I will take what you treasure the most, as a price. You will have no option" 

Cong yelled, tearing his mask away, his eyes looking at the door where Lan zhan stood, watching. 

Wei ying patted his ears with his palm, faking an irritated expression to answer Cong's yelling. 

"Buh-bye" Wei ying walked out of the room, and waved his hand together with Lan zhan from outside.