CHAPTER 24

Ahaan and Arushi had arrived at the airport and it was time for Ahaan to bid farewell to Arushi, clearly the most difficult of all of them. He had so much to say to her, an important truth of his life to profess. His heart wanted to say it all before leaving for the US but his mind knew it would not be the correct way to go about it. How could he suddenly profess his love to her and leave her with all the confusion and the cacophony in her head.

He didn't want to repeat history. This had happened ten years ago when he abruptly had announced his liking for her and things didn't turn out too well after that. He didn't want to ruin what they had right now between them with the sudden declaration of love. He was afraid she might not feel the same for him and he didn't want to leave her on any other cliff hanging moment again. But he didn't want to leave without letting her know of his love as well.

Arushi and Ahaan were gradually walking towards the boarding terminal. She could feel her legs giving way, she didn't want to take a step further, she didn't want to see him leave, she didn't want to have to live with his absence anymore, not now when she had felt the magic of his presence. She didn't want to let him leave without telling him what her heart had been whispering to her in those lone nights when the moon light would sift through the curtains and fall on her face.

Both of their hands brushed against one another and quite instinctively they slipped their hands into each other's. Was this what was known as intimacy? The mere touch of the other person, the mere feel of their warmth.

Finally, they had arrived at the terminus and it was time for Ahaan to leave. Both of them looked at each other. Ten long years, a screaming silence and their moist eyes looking at each other intently trying to figure things out.

Arushi took out something wrapped in silver gift paper and handed it to Ahaan.

"Here, take this with you."

Ahaan unwrapped it to find the same photo frame that he had seen in her Bangalore apartment and the one she had carried all the way to Delhi as well. Ahaan knew this photo frame was very close to Arushi's heart. It had Ahaan, Amir and Arushi in it, all grinning ear to ear. They had clicked this picture on their last carnival together ten years ago.

"This will remind you that we both are always there for you, whenever you need us to be and that we both await your return."

Both Ahaan and Arushi were smiling looking at the photo in Ahaan's hands, their eyes welled up.

It was close to boarding time for Ahaan and he needed to make a move quick.

"Hey, you're close to your boarding time. You should go."- Arushi said. Her heart was paining really bad and her eyes were welled up, but she had promised to herself she wouldn't cry in front of him. She believed you should always bid farewell with a smile, no matter how much it pained you. That ways, good wishes stay with the person.

Ahaan hugged Arushi tight and Arushi reciprocated as well. They held onto each other tightly never having the intention of letting go. They wanted to make the time stop right there and that moment and spend an eternity with each other. Ahaan could feel warm tears trickle down his eyes and he immediately wiped them clean. He didn't want to make things even more difficult for him or for Arushi.

They let go off each other.

"I'll miss you, Aru."- Ahaan said smiling though his pain

"I won't!"- Arushi laughed saying so.

"What a lie, Aru!"- she thought in her mind.

Ahaan laughed slightly and then went inside the airport through the terminus finally waving her a goodbye. Arushi waved him back with a smile sending her good wishes across.