1. Trust

Leaves rustled in the wind quietly. Sapphire glanced at the map given to her before glancing around. She wasn't very familiar with this side of town. She wasn't sure why Fire with Fire had insisted she use this entrance this time, but she wasn't about to argue with her superiors.

She crossed the street, keeping an eye out for guards. She was on I.S territory, afterall. She checked her map again. Turning down Unaly Street (neutral territory), she jumped a fence, crossing into FwF territory.

Crossing two more streets, she looked for the apartment building she had been told to enter. Finally spotting it, she went inside, looking for the receptionist.

Seeing them, she went over.

"How may I help you ma'am?" they asked politely.

"Oh! I'm here for a party with my friend Francesca," she said, pulling out the fake invite from her bag.

"Francesa Wills-Fisher?" the receptionist asked, eyeing her up and down.

"That's my friend, yes," she nodded.

"Up two and a half flights of stairs and then go all the way down the restroom hallway," she said.

Sapphire nodded, grabbing her invite before heading up the stairs. Once there, she pushed open the door that presumably went to the toilets. Seeing she was right, she headed all the way down the corridor.

Spotting the elevator doors, she breathed a sigh of relief. It had occurred to her that the receptionist could have been lying.

Pressing the down arrow, she waited for a bit. It occurred to her that she probably should've done some magic before coming here, but it was too late now. The building was bound to be filled with cameras.

Sapphire stepped into the elevator. She tried spotting all the hidden cameras. There was one obvious one in the corner, and there was probably one in the handlebar.

The elevator came to a stop, and she stepped out. Scanning her surroundings, she recognised where she was. If she- yep, there was the office. She checked her watch. 5 minutes early. Oh well. Better to be early than to be late.

Grabbing her book from her bag, she settled down to read for a little bit.

5 minutes later, she heard the door open. A dark-skinned man walked out of the room. She stood up, waiting for her number to be called.

"77?" someone called. "Come in please,"

She entered. There was a man and a woman, both blonde. The man had short hair, cut close to his scalp and dark brown eyes. The woman had hair down to her shoulders and piercing grey eyes.

"Ah agent. We first want to give you our thanks for helping take down that rebellion. Your master told us that he trusted you completely, and it seems as though that trust was well-placed," the man said, motioning for her to sit down.

The woman nodded. "Indeed. You were quite phenomenal. However, we do have a new assignment for you. It requires quite a lot of trust, so we thought you would be the perfect person to do the job,"

Sapphire nodded slowly. It was quite unusual to be called in so early, but it wasn't like she could say no really. The last time she tried that, well. She rubbed the scar on her arm subconsciously.

"As you are aware, our strongest rival currently is Insane Synergy. Two years ago, around February 2025-" the man continued talking, but she was a bit distracted. Her magic had decided it wanted out. She, of course, wasn't going to let it, the biggest reason being that she was in front of probably the biggest magic haters ever. Listen, she disliked magic, but when you get stuck with it, you tend to use it every now and then.

With some force, she tuned back to the briefing at hand.

"-want you to start tomorrow, so pack your equipment today. Take your laptop. Get a good night's rest. We want you to check in every two days. Got it?" asked the grey-eyed woman.

Sapphire nodded again.

"Good. You're dismissed. Don't forget the brochure," said the short-haired man.

Scanning the table, she grabbed it and put it into her bag before standing up.

Exiting the headquarters, she stalled for a moment before deciding to go straight to her cabin. She would usually take a longer route, but it was getting late and she needed to pack.

Once in her room, she read the brochure first. Taking the opportunity that her hands were hidden, she cast a small spell to loop the cameras for five minutes. She waited another minute before creating a small sphere of light. She threw it and caught it a few times before making it disappear. There, now her magic wouldn't bother her for a while.

She finished reading the brochure. It had some interesting stuff.

She wasn't quite sure how a passive division would work in a war, but you know

She wasn't quite sure how a passive division would work in a war, but you know. It was also interesting that they had a magic class when magic corrupted people. Teamwork was nice though.

She looked through her closet for a suitcase and some changes of clothes. Closing her suitcase, she looked for her laptop. She put it into her laptop bag before putting it on top of her suitcase.

She heated up mac and cheese for dinner, before brushing her teeth and getting into bed. It was going to be a long day tomorrow.

a/n Welp, that chapter went from 345 words to 900. Oh well, hoped you enjoyed this version more.