9. Swordfighting

I quickly head over to the classroom. I spot others heading over there as well, and I hope I'm not late. In my experience, people head over to somewhere when it starts, not before. I quicken my pace a bit.

I enter the building. I spot Henwy, and his face brightens when he sees me.

"Sapphire! Thank goodness! We wanted to catch you before the class started so we could give you your sword but we weren't sure if you were going to be out in time. Come with me."

I quickly follow him. I get they didn't want me to be late for the class, but he did cause a bit of a scene there. I hope people mind their own business.

"Ok here you go. Just grab the sword." I'm about to grab the sword when Biffle appears.

"Oi Henwy! Sigils sent me to remind you about Sapphire's sword."
"Oh yeah, I got her here." He gestures towards me.
"Did you tell her about the magic?" Damn it, I hoped I wouldn't have to do magic for this bit.
"Uh, no?"
"Oh my god." He pinched the bridge of the nose.

"Sapphire, we just need you to keep in mind your magic as you pick the blade up and while you bind you to the blade." Dear god, how much did Henwy forget to tell me?
"Uh, what exactly is 'binding me to the blade'?"
"Henwy, did you tell her anything?" Biffle says, exasperated.
"Uh, I mean I said-"
"He told me that all I had to do was to 'grab the sword'," I interrupted.

"Oh. My. God Henwy." Biffle turns to me. "Basically, when magic users receive a sword, we bind them to it for two reasons. One, it helps improve channelling some magic through it. Two, it means you get cool ✨aesthetic✨ things more personalised to you." Did he really just go '✨aesthetic✨? Apparently he did.

"Wouldn't you need magic for that?"
"Good listening. Not anymore, because Sigils and Nico worked together to create this baby," he taps a machine, "so we don't have to ask him for his help everytime we need to do this."
"So I just think of magic when I pick it up and when you bind it?"
"Yup."
"Why do I have to think about i-uh magic when I pick it up?"
"It makes the binding process easier. And sometimes it does cool stuff so." He shrugs. I glare at him.

"You ready? Henwy interjects. I nod.

I picture the glow of my magic as I picked the sword up. I try to ignore the bit of me that is yelling that what I'm doing is illegal. I try to think of the relief I feel whenever I let it out. The sword glows.

Henwy goes oooh, like a child. The man is 21. I glare at him.

"What? I haven't seen it do that before." He shrugs. I shake my head.

"We need you to hold your sword right here, and think about your magic while me and Henwy do the binding, k?" I nod. I hold my sword above the machine. I think about my magic. It feels easier this time.

I open my eyes. I gasp because the sword changed a lot. Before it was a regular sword. Grey metal for a blade and a wooden hilt. Now the blade is white, with a black hilt. But that isn't all. There's so much colour. More than I usually see on weapons. There's Blue and green and red and a lighter blue all splashed on it. I love it.

"Thanks." I say shyly.
"No problem. Now come, class is about to start." Biffle says.
"Take this too." He passes me a scabbard, made out of leather. It's black and white.
"Thanks." I say again.
"No problem." He shrugs.

I follow them. Sigils welcomes me in.

"Sapphire, hi! Did you get your sword and your scabbard?" I nod. I decided to show him my sword. I pull it out of the sheath like I learned when-
"Wow, that looks good!" I smile, because it really does.

Class starts, and Sigils introduces me. I go pink a bit, because everyone looked at me, but that's fine. I learnt that they prioritised defence over offence. Sigils looked at me a bit funny when I asked about offence. Not suspiciously, but funny. I hope he didn't notice. The class finishes and I go to my room. I wait for my next class.

a/n Long chapter today! If you wanted to know what kind of sword they use, I would suggest looking up the Chinese sword jian, as it's heavily inspired from it (it may also just be it). I had planned on a more detailed version of the actual class, but the story took me elsewhere and I want to do the magic class next chapter so yeah. I hope you liked it anyway!