iiii.

Tuesday
March 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
5:45 p.m.

Onika's Pov

Onika's Pov

   The weather in Colorado eased up a bit today, which was a surprise in March. It gave us the opportunity to take a break from bundling up, and that made everyone happy. Even me. Yet still, I couldn't shake off the heavy weight of sadness that washed over me. I had gotten through the work day, which usually made me feel good, but today was different. I couldn't get my mind off of Robyn.

   I quickly waved bye to everyone as I walked out of the building and to my pink Range Rover. After unlocking the door and climbing in, I put on my seatbelt and sat still. I thought about how long I waited for Robyn's return, just for her not to show up. I started to wonder if I did something wrong. "Maybe I was too nice. Or... maybe I made her feel too comfortable and she wasn't used to that. I should've chilled out." I thought. Then again, I interacted with her the way I did every other client. Besides the staring.

   "Fuuuck, I hate myself right now." I said with a pout, dropping my head into my hands. I honestly wanted to know what happened and why she didn't show up for her appointment. My thoughts were eating me alive, so I grabbed my phone out of my purse and called a person who I knew would listen.

   I put my phone on speaker and tapped my foot as it rang, waiting for my best friend since college orientation to pick up. After the third ring, I almost lost hope until she picked up. "Hello?" A low pitched voice spoke. "Giselleeeee... I need to talk to you right now." I stressed holding my head with one hand and now holding the phone with the other. "I'm here, Nika. What's going on? Someone irritated you at work again?" She asked with a laugh.

   Her laughing just made me pout even more. "Nooo. I'm upset." I explained. "It's about a client." I added, dragging my french tip acrylics along my scalp. "A client? What did they do? You know I'll fuck some shi—" She started to say, but I had to stop her before she made herself mad. "No, B. This client isn't anything like that. Actually, I think..." I trailed off, hesitating to continue what I was about to say.

The line fell completely silent, making it obvious that Bey was waiting on me to finish my sentence. "What do you think, girl? You know I can't read minds." She said, basically telling me to hurry up and spit it out. It was now or never, might as well get it over with. "I think I'm.... attracted to her." I confessed, shutting my eyelids immediately out of nervousness.

Beyoncé gasped, clearly shocked. "Onika Tanya Maraj. I know you fuckin' lying... you're attracted to someone?" She questioned. "In all my years of knowing you, there wasn't a person in sight that made your head turn. Let alone one of your clients?" She continued in disbelief. "It's just—ugh. I don't know, she's just... it. Her personality, her looks. The only thing is... she has a wife." I said, attempting to shut my eyes even tighter. Only this time, it was out of embarrassment.