v.

Tuesday
March 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
6:20 p.m.

Robyn's POV

This was the first time I saw Onika in a state of anger and I won't lie, it was pretty scary. I stood there in a trance, unable to speak until I saw her fingers snap in front of my face. "I'm going to ask you one time and one time only. Who did this to your face?" She asked, waiting for an answer. A truthful one.

   I hesitated on telling the truth, mainly because I knew Lauren would be pissed. She already didn't like the fact that I told Onika about the issues in our marriage and I wasn't trying to have her down my throat again. "It was nothing, I– I hit my cheek on something on my way out the door." I lied, hoping it would work.

   Onika's eyebrow raised as she smacked her teeth. "Do you think I'm stupid, Robyn? There's a fucking handprint on your face. Someone intentionally did this and I want to know who." She sternly said, looking up at me. Her eyes that were once innocent turned deadly. "Now.. I'm giving you one more chance to be honest with me. If you lie, you're not welcomed to my office anymore." Now that made me nervous. If I lied, that would mean I'd never be able to see her again. I couldn't let that happen.

   I let her last sentence linger in my head a few times before speaking. "Okay, okay." I said before she could make any impulsive decisions. I know she was angrier than before because I lied. "My wife found out about you. She knows I go to therapy and she wasn't happy about it at all, so..." I pointed to the bruise. "This is what happened." I stated. I didn't know it was possible to see Onika angrier than she already was until I saw her face turn a light tint of red.

   "So you didn't lose the business card, she got rid of it." She took a deep breath as if she were trying to calm herself down. "Okay, Robyn." Was all she said before grabbing ahold of her shopping cart. "Follow me, I have to get something before we go." She added, confusing me. "We? Where are we going?" I questioned, pushing my cart not too far behind. "I'll eat a denim jacket before I let you go back to that toxic fucking house without me." She spoke in a tone so blunt, it created a small amount of friction between my legs. "I'm making avocado burgers with a side of waffle fries, so I hope you like that kind of food."

   Now I was really confused. "We're going to your house?" I asked. I was kind of excited to see how this would go but I wasn't trying to show it. "After we go get some clothes for you from your house with the help of my bodyguards. You'll need about a month worth of that and whatever you use for work. I will be getting in touch with my lawyer so we can get through the divorce. Before you know it, that house will be all yours and Lauren will be out of your hair." She said.

I don't know why, but I found the way she was protective of me so sexy. We barely knew each other, yet she was willing to do all of this. "Remember, I am still your therapist. We will move the sessions to my home office. This is still business Robyn, nothing more or less." She informed. In all honesty, it sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than me, but I didn't say anything about it. "You got it." I mumbled. I didn't really know how to feel about this, I just knew I was ready to finally let go of Lauren. Onika made me realize my worth in less than a week. I appreciated her.

"Now tell me before I buy this pack of ground beef. Are you okay with what's on the menu tonight?" She asked, looking at me. "Tell the truth." She added in a more lighthearted tone. I could tell she was trying to brighten the mood. "Yes, Onika I actually love waffle fries." I told her, followed by a laugh.

   A couple moments passed before we were in our cars. She ended up buying everything, meaning she bought the items in my cart which I didn't want her to do, but she insisted. We had exchanged numbers so we could stay on the phone while I lead the way to my home. "I just sent my bodyguards the address, they will most likely get there before we do." She spoke through the speaker. "Do you know if Lauren's home?"

   Lauren had left for a girl's night out. Usually when she did this, she wasn't back until the morning. "She's not. We have a lot of time before she'll even think of coming home, so don't worry about it." I assured. Onika quickly responded. "Oh trust me, I'm not worried about that bitch. If anything, I'm worried that I'll rip her hair out of her scalp." She said, sassily. I stifled a laugh.

   "I'm sorry.. I have no respect for people who can put their hands on someone they claim to love for no reason. Something about that doesn't sit right with my spirit." She explained. "I get it, it's okay." I told her. She had every right to be upset about the altercation between Lauren and I. I didn't even want any parts with her anymore myself.

   Minutes later, we had pulled into my driveway, seeing three men outside with black suits. Those must've been the bodyguards. "Thank you guys for coming, I know it's getting a little late and this was kind of last minute." I could hear Onika say as I stepped out. As I approached the front door, I greeted the men. "We'll be quick." I spoke, earning a nod from the three of them in return.

   "Your house is beautiful." Onika said in awe as the doors opened. As we walked, her heels clacked on the smooth marble floor. "Thank you." I simply spoke, leading her towards the grand spiral staircase. Telling her that this house was a gift to Lauren probably wouldn't be the best thing to say right now.

Onika looked around at as much of the house as she possibly could while running the tips of her fingers along the wooden stair ledge. "You must've spent a fortune on this, I'm actually jealous." She giggled, sticking her out tongue at me in a childish manner. There she went being adorable again. "I'm sure you have a much better house than I do. You're such a kid." I teased, making us laugh in unison.

   We continued to make small talk as we entered my room, gathering everything I possibly needed for the next month. It wasn't long before we did the same in my office, resulting in us in using two large spare boxes I had resting against my desk. With the help of the bodyguards, we got everything in Onika's Range Rover. We decided that her truck would be a better option due to the amount of space it had.

I pondered on leaving Lauren a note but then decided that it would be better to give her a taste of her own medicine. She was never very respectful when it came to telling me where she'd be going, so I thought why not do the same?

Onika tipped the guards and I thanked them one final time before getting in my car and beginning the journey to her house.

a filler till next chapter. my work vacation is over which means updates won't be everyday. i will still be working on this book as much as i can, bare w me.

🤍
- fentyethics.