Chapter 11

'Loose lips sink ships all the time, not this time.'

-I Know Places, Taylor Swift

We were at the lunch table. Talking. Planning.

'I got nothing.' Nathan threw his hands in the air (like he just didn't care).

Hu Li rolled her eyes. 'Think more.'

'Maybe we need to write this out somewhere.' I offered.

'Like an actual blue print, or something?'

'Yeah. It'll be more organized.'

'Okay, then. Let's postpone this lovely discussion till we can get together again, in the arts hall.'

'I'm not sure if I have the same schedule as you guys...' Hu Li slumped a little.

'It's alright, we'll just go on without you.'

'Wow, thanks guys. So supportive, so helpful.' She rolled her eyes again and stood up. 'I'm getting rid of this food. See you guys later.' She started walking away.

'I thought you wouldn't be able to come?'

'I'll find a way. I always find a way.' She called out without turning around, giving us a half-hearted wave (basically a shake of her hand in the air).

And so there were Nathan and I. Just the two of us.

'So can you think of anything?' He asked me.

'Well, I definitely haven't been here for very long, so I don't know how to get around very much. Maybe a tour would help?'

'Sure, after dinner.'

'And I need you to tell me whatever you know about the people who run this place from the inside. Like the guards, do they have any habits or addictions or weird things that they do? Or the cooks? The wardens? Stuff like that.'

'Okay.'

'I'll ask around for information as well. Remember, whatever you do, don't tell anybody about this. Loose lips sink ships. '

With that, I got up from the table and walked away, taking my tray along with me.

———————-

I wandered through the hallway, walking past cells that were empty or occupied. I needed to know where it led to. Was there a locked door preventing me from my freedom? Or was there something more?