Chapter 23

"Mind my simple song/ this ain't gonna work."

-Gooey, Glass Animals

Ms Cunningham's office was a minimalist's dream. Potted cacti lining the window sill and in hanging copper planters, with sunlight dappling on the white walls. White bookshelves filled with books that for some reason were all of the same color palette (and I don't know how she managed that. I never understand these things). A fluffy rug on grey carpet. A crystal decanter filled with some alcoholic copper substance on a glass table (with crystal glasses to match) and a cream sofa in the corner. 

A pale wooden desk with another cactus (surprise) and a black leather chair, upon which the woman herself was sitting gracefully, perfect posture and dressed impeccably in black culottes, white button up and navy blazer thrown carelessly around her shoulder. 

Ms Cunningham lifted an eyebrow as we walked in, a gesture that made me subtly check my reflection in the polished window to see whether I really did look good or whether my mirror was playing with me this morning (it happens to everybody. Even me).

My outfit seemed fine. One can never go wrong with all black. And my hair was as mysterious as ever. I came to the conclusion that she was the type of person to just look judgmental all the time. I could relate. 

'Let's not waste too much time on niceties and formalities. Have a seat.' She got up and moved to the sofa, waving us over.

As soon as we were settled, Ms Cunningham poured herself a drink. I opened my mouth to tell her that it was 1pm in the afternoon and I didn't consider whatever it was in that glass decanter to be a healthy thing to consume before a certain time in the day (i.e. like, six hours from now), but I thought better of it. The poor woman was going to have a long day/week/possibly month ahead of her and she probably needed this. 

'Apple juice, anybody?' 

We all blinked. 

'Say what.'

'Apple juice.' Ms Cunningham looked slightly affronted. 'Did your time in that prison imitation erase all knowledge of breakfast beverages?'

'Sorry, we just-'

I cut Nathan off before he could say anything that would offend her or make us look dumber than we already did. 'We would love some. Thank you very much.'

Ms Cunningham poured us each a generous glass of apple juice, and I took a cautious sip (and by Jove, it really was apple juice) before starting.

'Have you given some thought to our case, Ma'am?'

'Of course.' She set her glass down. 'I haven't had a case as interesting as yours in two decades. I have an idea that I would like to share with you, and I was thinking that you could suggest some improvements or even come up with something else. I'm entirely open to any insight.'

We nodded.

'Right. So, the basic aim of what we're trying to do here is to take down that strange little corporation, and expose those who brought the concept to life in the first place. Is that right?'

Nathan and Hu Li nodded, but I didn't.

'Miss Taylor, you look like you have something to say.'

'I....I just think we should also bring the actions of our parents into the light. The business may not have been created by them, but they certainly contributed to its functionality. I think they deserve some sort of consequence.'

'Very right. I agree wholeheartedly, my dear.'

After a sip of her juice, she continued.

'Now, I understand that you, Hu Li, have managed to hack into the system of J.U.V.I.E and found out confidential information, and as a result, got yourself jail time. Correct?'

Hu Li agreed. 

'I would like you to give me everything you found out in a document form, but omit how you got the information. Understand? The last thing we want is consequences for you when there are certainly bigger issues at hand. That information is not government classified, but hacking is still illegal.

I thought that I might do some research of my own. My IT skills are most definitely not at a high standard by any means, but I can do a substantial amount of digging when necessary. We'll present this case in court and Nathan and Cassidy, your parents will be put on the stand. They may be able to get the best lawyer that money can buy, but they don't know that what they're actually getting is the second best lawyer, since their children have already snagged the best that there is.' 

I smiled. 

'Now, this next part is a little tricky, and it requires quite a bit of elbow grease on your part.'

How bad could it be, I thought. 

'You're going to have to sneak back into J.U.V.I.E and recruit as many teenagers that you can because they will have to be put on the stand as well in the trial.'

I think we all went a bit pale. 

'Um.' I racked my brain for an eloquent response. 'How..How are we going to get them out?'

'Well, the way you got out, of course.' 

Ah.

Right.

A/N 

it's been legit ten centuries whaddup y'all r u staying cute and fresh and hydrated bc it's good for u 

literally such a short (intensely unedited) chapter :(((((( but it's all i could manage bc writer's block lol rip me

but i hope you are all happy and healthy!! see u next chapter.

coraline xx 

PS: go drink some apple juice ;))