Chapter 6

'Look at me now, I'm falling/ Can't even talk, still stuttering.'

-Somebody To You, The Vamps

'Y'all can get out now.'

What?

I had been preparing myself for a long stay in isolation. I had been planning what topics Rebecca and I could discuss, and also planned to try and make up a reason as to why I was dumped in here. I was planning to go into starvation mode, urging myself not to think of any food and to be happy that I would be able to go out of Juvie as a thinner person, without even exercising. I was even planning to calculate at least 100 numbers after the decimal point of Pi.

Guess not.

'Wait, how long has it been?'

The warden checked his watch (Rolex, I noticed). 'About.....6 hours.'

I frowned in disbelief. Only 6 hours? It felt like an eternity.

'Wait, so....that's it?'

'Yep, pretty much.'

'But you said 4 days. Just in case you didn't know, 6 hours doesn't equal 4 days.'

'Are you always this curious?' The warden rolled his eyes. 'We just said that to scare you guys. We're not gonna keep you girls in here for that long. We're not stupid. Seeing as though y'all were trying to kill each other back in the bathroom, it wouldn't have been long till you guys actually killed each other, being stuck with one another and all.'

'But why make a big show of storming in and dragging us here?'

'Ah, that.' He pursed his lips. 'That was the result of watching too many Korean cop shows. We get bored around here.'

'So........it was never gonna be 4 days?'

'Nope. Think of it as a first strike. Two more and.....' The warden raised his eyebrows.

'Don't worry, it'll never get past this first strike.'

'I hope not!' The warden glared at us and muttered under his breath. 'We don't need two more dead bodies lying around here.'

'Two....more? Wha-'

'You can go join the others now, they're going through their schedules for the day.'

'We have schedules?' I looked at Rebecca for confirmation, the warden's mutterings forgotten (for now). She had been here for way longer than I had been.

'Uh-huh.'

'And why didn't you tell me this?' I raised a disbelieving eyebrow at her, as well as cocking my hip and placing my hand on it as I tried to make my gaze as piercing as possible so that it would stare into her soul and find out all her deep, dark secrets.

'You didn't ask.'

My shoulders deflated. 'Oh.'

'Okay, enough with your girly chit-chat. Get a move on to the activities hall now.' The warden grabbed my right arm while grabbing Rebecca's left arm and strode purposefully down the hallway. I tried to keep up with his pace, but his grip was like iron and he was fast. Also, I didn't want to get too close because he smelt kind of nasty. Like there was a festering lump of dead organisms inside his shirt.

At the corner of my eye, I saw Rebecca wrinkle her nose daintily and look away.

'Here you are.' The warden pushed us through a door and I blinked.