Chapter 3

'Should've known you were trouble/ From the first kiss/ Had your eyes wide open.

Why were they open?

-Grenade, Bruno Mars

What did I get myself into?

Polly's eyes were squinted, her eyebrows drawn together to make a long, hairy line across her forehead (AKA mono brow, AKA caterpillar, AKA I don't even know). Her chin trembled as she looked at Nathan, and then at me. 

'Well?'

'Well, what?'

'Just do it already!'

By now, a crowd had gathered around us. Even the cafeteria ladies had come to see what the fuss was all about. Usually, I really enjoyed being the centre of attention, but right now?

No.

Nathan had started fiddling with his own fingers nervously, blinking rapidly. He cleared his throat and looked at me, while I stared blankly back.

'We came to see more action, so.....'

'Smoochie smoochie, y'know what I'm sayin'?'

I turned to the poor shivering boy beside me and put my mouth near to his ear.

'Don't worry about it, I won't actually kiss you.'

I felt his shoulders relax and his eyes flashed with relief and a little bit of something else.

'But it'll look a lot like we're making out. Alright?'

'Ok. Ok.'

I pulled back and smiled, and he grinned back, looking a little bit too eager. 

'Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Kiss.' The crowd chanted.

I placed my fingers unto his cheeks and pulled him closer, at the same time he gripped my waist.

Slowly, I leaned in till our foreheads touched and stayed there for a moment, which was my attempt at making us look like a loving couple enjoying eye contact. Like TFIOS.

But honestly, it was majorly awkward. Hazel and Gus pulled it off better. 

Then, our noses brushed as I leaned in closer and place my lips on his.

HAH. Or did I?

To the crowd, it looked like a legit lip-lock, like all deep and intense and intimate. I could hear them cheering, and I picked up the stifled sobs of Polly as she tried to stop her tears.

In reality, I had slid my thumb over his lips at the same time that my mouth would've touched his. It was the thumb connected to the hand that the crowd couldn't see. So I was making out with my fingernail, instead of Nathan.

Really, like, R-Rated stuff.

Mature.

Risqué.

Nathan opened one eye to look at me and I took that as a sign to stop the 'kiss'.

I gently pushed myself away (at the same time as I slid my thumb from his lips and to his cheek). Giving him a small smile and a subtle wink, which he returned, I let go of him entirely and returned to my seat.

'Natty, why?' Polly howled, her fingers clawing her face as tears slid down her cheeks. 'We were in love! Like Romeo and Juliet, like Cinderella and Prince Charming, like-'

Okay, seriously? This girl was made of melodramatics and bad acting. 

'More like Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth.' I muttered (as loudly as I could).