Chapter 24

"Oh I hope someday I'll make it out of here/ Even if it takes all night or a thousand years."

-lovely, Billie Eilish and Khalid

RECAP

basically ya girl Cassidy got dumped in juvenile detention but then she found out she got dumped there bc her parents don't wanna deal w her no more so now she trying to avenge herself and her friends and bring down the e s t a b l i s h m e n t by bussing down (thotiana) 

We were back on the road.

This time, Nathan was behind the wheel and Hu Li and I sat in the back. We were all dressed in black from head to toe, balaclavas at the ready and guns loaded. The lawyer had gracefully opted out of the mission, declaring that field work was too 'strenuous on her bones' and that she would 'take good care of the paperwork' while we were gone. 

"I definitely feel like it would have been helpful if Cunningham got in on the action too." I grumbled, flopping like a large sack of potatoes unto Hu Li's lap. 

"You heard the woman, her skeleton is devoid of calcium or something." Hu Li smoothed down my hair gently. I was almost about to say something about her getting more emotionally attached to me until she quite literally pressed her whole hand, palm down, unto my face, an action that bore an uncomfortably large resemblance to that of kneading dough. 

"You guys alright back there?" Nathan asked, giving a concerned glance to the rearview mirror when I started sputtering due to almost being suffocated. 

"It's fine, I basically nearly died but like, it's fine." I glared at Hu Li, who had thankfully retracted her hand. "What was that for, huh?"

"I believe it was a sign of....what do you like to call it.....affection? Love?" 

"If that's love, I would hate to see what hatred looks like." 

"Get away from me." Hu Li pushed my shoulder away and I was ungraciously rolled unto the floor of the car, my face being squashed yet again by the carpet full of lint balls instead of a palm that smelled like cherry blossom hand lotion. 

"What is with this abuse!"

"Pipe down, I need to concentrate," Nathan's annoyed tone drifted past as I struggled to return to my seat. 

"Oh, you want to concentrate?" I sank back into the seat and pouted, folding my arms. "Guess I won't talk then." 

"No, you can talk, I just-"

"Nah, you'll live longer without hearing my voice." 

"What if I told you I would die without hearing your voice?" 

"Then perish." 

"Can you both stop?" Hu Li had placed her hands over her ears. "This is some weirdly flirtatious yet awkward banter and I don't like it, please refrain." 

"Sorry, sorry," I slumped. "I need a distraction. This is honestly killing me, I don't like what we're doing." 

"Well, suck it up." 

"Of course it's not so bad for you since you get to see Elliot again." 

"Contrary to what you think, he isn't my priority right now." 

"What happened? You were all over him when we were back there." 

"No, I wasn't."

"Yes, you w-"