Chapter 3- Change in Plans

Marinette pov-
I sighed as I silently walked through the park in the heart of Gotham, trying to get time to myself, away from my class, friends, and older brother, and away from the press.

It had been a week since Slade had died again, and I knew that he was back because he was stalking me, sending his top guys after me and now Tim, and now the League was after us. I just wanted a break, just some peace and quiet, at least for a couple of hours.

I haven't slept in a week now, and was in a bad mood because the apartment that I had rented out got ambushed with me in it, and the place was destroyed, and now everyone in the building that had been staying there were dead, and I hadn't been able to save them.

So, I was still on the run.

This was a game that was never going to end, and I was getting tired of it. I was tempted to go behind my pack's backs and go back to Slade and the League, that way they would be off of my crew's asses, and so that I could protect them. Slade had told me that if I didn't return to him in the next few days, then he was going to kill my friends, brother, and his adoptive family, close off the Lazarus Pit, and force me to join him.

Now, I was left with not much of a choice.

At least I would be away from my class though.

I was about to settle against a huge tree in the shade when I heard screams and gunshots, and I was on instant alert. I spotted Joker and Riddler causing chaos, and in the middle of the gunfire was a little girl with black hair and green eyes, and the woman that was with her ran off...

...without the girl, who had little chance of survival now. The child was crying, and I saw the world slow when I heard her let out a scream of pain as a bullet hit her.

Oh, fuck no.

I wasn't having this shit.

Not thinking, I snapped into my Red Renegade suit and tore for the little girl, running as fast as I could, and I wrapped her in a tight protective hug with my back against the villains, my back getting tore up with the bullets, and feeling the bullets enter my body through my clothes.

The little girl was sobbing in my arms. She had only been shot in the forearm, so I knew she'd be alright.

I didn't think I would be, though. All I cared was that the child would make it out of this alive. But I had to find a way to get her out of here.

The only option was to fight my way out, and I was going to have to be extra careful because I had the girl with me. Tears of pain were falling down my face, and I cried out, but I was trying to keep silent so that I wouldn't scare the girl.

Tim was going to kill me for this.

If my pack didn't first.

Gathering up strength, I fought to stand and had my katana out in seconds, and I deflected bullets skillfully and so fast that you couldn't see the blade move, and I was looking for a way out.

I didn't see one, other than to flee somewhere.

Fuck.

My eye twitched, and I did something that was WAY too risky for my favor, but it was the only way:

I put the girl down, right as the villains stopped shooting to reload, put my katana up, went wolf, grabbed the child by the back of her clothes, and sprinted as fast as I could out of the park and into the city, not going a specific direction and just trying to get somewhere decently safe. I wouldn't be able to protect her in the streets, because I felt like I was about to pass out, and I didn't know if any safe houses anywhere close to where I was.