Mothers and Confessions

The pain in my hips subsided as the kettle boiled in the kitchen. Sitting at the dining table watching his mother wash the cups under a running tap, I start thinking about the events that took place a while ago.

'Who were those creatures? Why was it hard to find this room? If they are nineteen rooms here, then how big is this place? What was that thing that kidnapped the boy? Was it a Yokai? How did that woman teleport herself from one place to another?'

It's a pity all these questions remained unanswered. The sound of the clocks ticking and the woman pouring something into the cup was followed by a crawling sound that was a little too close for comfort.

"Did you deliver the leftovers to all the tenants Caleb?" she asked.

The boy or can I say Caleb jolted with fear in his eyes. "Ye...yes mommy."

"Good."

This only added to the sinister tone in the room which I was familiar with after I killed my uncle.

"Here is your tea." the woman said dragging me out of my thoughts.

I thank her and put it close to my mouth. "It smells funny."

"I am sorry if it is not up to your standard." She said sitting down with her cup of tea. "But my son and I prefer our tea weak right, Caleb?"

I look at the boy who bit his bottom lip and took a sip of his. "Yeah, he seems to enjoy it."

"Mmm hmm."

There was an awkward silence that filled the room.

"Anyway, I came to thank you for the leftovers you sent to me ma'am. To be honest I didn't know what I was going to eat tonight if you didn't send your son to give it to me."

"Mmm, it is an honor," she replied bringing the cup to her lips. "But you didn't eat it did you?"

I shake my head and nurse the cup of tea in my hands. "I was about to when he rushed back to my room saying someone dangerous was pursuing him. He had scars on his body and said the person was banging on my door wanting to harm him. So, I brought him back to you."

She hesitated, wondering whether to believe my story or not then she sighed. "You are..."

The sound of something crawling around was heard and this time it was loud enough for us to hear.

"Sorry ma'am but do you hear that?" I ask.

Her eyes widen with an unknown emotion. "Hear what?"

Then something crawled past us and forced us to look in the direction of the kitchen. "Are you sure it isn't roaches ma'am?"

"What? No! I don't entertain the idea of having roaches in my room." she snapped.

I notice her reaction and decide to poke the fire a little.

"You can't be so sure. Most of the tenants complained about pests to the housekeeper and one even mentioned something about rats in her pantry." then I give a dramatic sigh. "That's why I am afraid to cook in my kitchen but who knows? Maybe..."

She sprang to her feet knocking her chair back and ran towards the kitchen. Smiling I look at the boy who was staring into space and take a peek into his teacup.

It was empty.

'Maybe she isn't callous enough to poison her son after all.' I thought looking at my tea. 'I have to admit she is observant and engaging her in the small talk was the best move if I want to give off the impression of being oblivious to what is happening because I intend to look around the place when everyone is asleep.'