The Hunt

Weeks later...

"You talked to Kyuji? Why?" Raibaru cried.

"I wanted to ask him about Osana," I reply leaning on the glass of the phone booth.

"I told you everything you needed to know!" she yelled angrily.

"You didn't tell me about the rumors leading to her death or the fact you got expelled for bullying Mr. Konagawa or the fact you were lying to me this whole time!" I say.

This silenced her for a while, "What do you mean? I...I wasn't lying!"

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "I knew you never liked him Ms. Fumestu but don't you think that you went a little too far with the harassment?"

She gave me another round of silence and I hear sniffing in the background. "Yeah. You are right. I hate him. I hate him for stealing Osana from Taro!"

"Are you sure about that?" I ask.

"Yes...yes, I am!" she yelled. "He wasn't even a decent boyfriend to her! He exposed her secrete to everyone in the school! Taro would never do that!"

"Then why didn't you say this vital piece of information?" I ask. "You've had me running around in circles this whole time!"

She didn't say a word.

"You didn't want me to know about it right?"

"What? No! That's not it!"

This pissed me off. "Then what is Ms. Fumestsu because you are high on my list of suspects!"

She went silent. Other theories about their relationship juggled through my mind but I wasn't sure about them.

'But it isn't a crime to ask.' I thought. "Ms. Fumestsu?"

"Yes?"

"Did you love Osana?"

It took a few minutes for the question to sink in and she cried loudly. I roll my eyes because this was getting old.

Really old.

I place the phone back on the hook and call a taxi to take me to the Southside of Town.

'I feel like I'm running around in circles with this.' I think passing my hand over my face. 'The only person left to talk to is Mrs. Yamada but I doubt if she would grant me an audience after marrying the victim's crush.'

The city lights and the buildings seem to disappear started disappearing making me unsure about my destination for I had never been to the Southside of Town before.

'Come to think of it if Mr. Bernard; the owner of the Amusement park was arrested for hiding the corpses in there, then who was the Uncle to the unfortunate family?'

I wait for my inner voice to say something but it was silent. Sighing, I look out the window and see what looked like a Ferris wheel in a distance.

'It looks like I would find out the truth when I get there.' I tap the driver on the shoulder. "Stop here."

Confused, the driver did as he was told and I pay him immediately when I step out of the car. Standing by the roadside, I stare at the forest in front of me and gulp.

'Maybe this is a bad idea?' Suddenly, my phone beeped with a message. Terrified, I look around before picking it up praying it wasn't whom I thought it was.

And my prayers were answered.

"AWW. ARE YOU SCARED?"

I do not reply.