the act of duty and love

The knife is an interesting blade compared to many others. It can be used for various things, such as cutlery, cutting and of course, killing. It is a short blade but mind you, it still remains lethal. A simple thrust across the neck would do if you want to murder someone with a knife. It'll leave a clean slice as blood seep out of the person, while their eyes turn colorless.

Malenia wonders if a cut to the throat hurts in their last few breaths. Would she feel pain if she stabbed the blade across her neck? She thinks of this as she stalks the training grounds from the sight of her balcony as the knife dances in her fingertips. Surely, it must be better than hanging. It's past afternoon and Malenia remains in her night gown. Days and days are filled with tiredness and emptiness. She wonders, as a princess, what else is there to live for? Her mother doesn't look her in the eye. Her brother gone and no one wanting to do anything with her.

Except..

"Remus.." She whispered out that name before looking down at the young man associated with it. She noticed it was him because out of all the men out in the training grounds, he was the only one who carried his significant silver hair. He wore a bright, gold surcoat while raising a sword in the air. He seemed to be instructing them how to properly wield a blade as the other men watched.

"Would he miss me?"

He turned a heel and she turned her back but felt her body froze after that. It was obvious he noticed her and she could feel his eyes watching her from afar. She gulped before forcing her body to retreat into the bedroom.

Remus was sad when she went back inside. He frowned and the trainees all watched the shadow in confusion before darting their eyes in the now, empty balcony. They thought to themselves, what could possibly be what he's looking?

"Ahem, as I was saying." He cleared his voice before returning his gaze at the new recruits. "Reframe from fighting one-handed. If you carry a smaller weapon, by all means but two-handed is preferable when using a great sword such as this. You're all new here and I wouldn't want to be disarmed easily."

"Great advice, Remus."

the recruits turned to see King Consort Radagon walking their way and they immediately bowed for him. Everyone but Remus turned their head down, as if they were not worthy of his presence.

"At ease, gentlemen. Carry on." They hesitated a bit and so Remus says,

"How about we all spar for a little? Everyone, pick a partner and train anywhere here while I speak to our ruler." After the recruits found a sparring partner, Remus and Radagon retreated into the castle tunnel that had torches lit inside. They walk alongside each other quietly for a moment before Radagon looks at him with a smile,

"How are you faring, Remus? I see you're taking up training with the new recruits."

"It's..actually going well." He chuckles, "A distraction, is what I'd call it. They're all eager to go into battle. A rowdy bunch but trainable."

"That's good to hear." The man says, "And..how are you and Malenia doing? I have to admit, I always notice her having you at her side but not recently I might add."