five

Wayne sat on the living room couch with a beer in his hand. His gut grew out a little and the floor was a littered mess. He himself was a mess.

After Eddie's death, it destroyed him. He couldn't eat or drink for days. It was all just too much.

That night, when he found that girl dead in his trailer, he never once thought Eddie did it. He mainly called the cops to pick up the body and then file a missing person report. He thought something bad happened and it scared Eddie into hiding. Eddie was innocent in his eyes till the very end.

Though...when that kid Dustin came to him and told him about his death, Wayne went hallow inside. Eddie died a hero for a town that called him a freak, a murderer. It didn't make any sense to Wayne.

The TV flickered through channels until Wayne couldn't take the meaningless noise anymore. He turned off the television and walked down the hall towards Eddie's room.

Sometimes, Wayne liked to play Eddie's music really loud like he used to. He'd play it, shut the door, and pretend Eddie was home dancing or singing to his favorite songs. It's all that kept Wayne going.

He smiled as Forever Free by Wasp played, [I know it came out in 89' but it's my favorite song for this scene so bare with me please] it was one of Eddie's favorites to listen to. He used to tell Wayne it would be the song he'd use at his future wedding.

"High in the wind forever free~" it echoed through the house as Wayne sat back down on the couch and began to cry. His boy was gone, his boy was really gone.

Memories took over Wayne's mind. His head pounded thinking about it all.

Once back in Eddie's sophomore year they were learning Geometry. Wayne stood next to Eddie who sat at the kitchen table. Eddie was tearing up as both the guys got frustrated over school math homework. Wayne decided it was best to tell Eddie to ask his math teacher tomorrow, and they go out for ice cream instead.

Another time, Eddie helped Wayne fix his van that he accidentally blew the engine out in. Eddie was a fidgetter so when it came to holding the flashlight....Wayne became annoyed fairly quickly.

Eddie was basically Wayne's son. So when he came home in tears after the Snowball dance in middle school, Wayne comforted Eddie and told him he could do whatever he wanted to make up for the bullshit he had to go through that night. In that moment, that very moment, Eddie decided to grow his hair out.

All these memories, it was all painful. The cries of Wayne hit every wall in that trailer. How could he live on like this?

How could he live knowing he couldn't protect his only son?

***

End of chapter five

I know it's a short chapter but I  wanted to add the suffering of those in Y/n and Eddie's lives as well. I hope you guys enjoyed! Love ya <33